Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickgeo1981

Whats wrong with my basil

vickgeo1981
10 years ago

Hi everyone,i bought my basil back in July,i placed it on a pot,and it grow to a very big size. A few weeks ago,a few days before christmas we had a sudden drop of temperature, from 86 farenheit(30Celcius) to 41 fernheit (5Celcius) whitin days,it was a shock for humans and i am guessing my basil,because after that the leaves where very very small. Like in the picture i put, my basil was producing leaves the size of the sweet leaves,and after that the size of lime leaves.

I cut almost all leaves to make it stronger,but the new leaves where the thai size. I am sure that it wasn't dying cause basil flowers on top,and i heard that you have to cut the flowers and if i put my basil directly in soil it will grow stronger.

So i did, but i also heard that it needs direct sunlight and temperatures above 53.6F (12C) and our lowest is 51.8F(11C),so as the sun goes down,i rapp my basil with a plastic bag.

But my biggest question is, why really did the leaves start making leaves smaller,is it biggest it only produces big leaves in summer??Is it because it's too cold for it??

Is it okay that i put it on a soil even with out a direct sunlight??

Is it ok that i put a plastic bag??

Did i did anything wrong in what i did withy my basil??

What can i do to make it better..

Thank you very much

Comments (2)