Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with my basil

Posted by vickgeo1981 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 1:35

Hi everyone,i bought my basil back in July,i placed it on a pot,and it grow to a very big size. A few weeks ago,a few days before christmas we had a sudden drop of temperature, from 86 farenheit(30Celcius) to 41 fernheit (5Celcius) whitin days,it was a shock for humans and i am guessing my basil,because after that the leaves where very very small. Like in the picture i put, my basil was producing leaves the size of the sweet leaves,and after that the size of lime leaves.

I cut almost all leaves to make it stronger,but the new leaves where the thai size. I am sure that it wasn't dying cause basil flowers on top,and i heard that you have to cut the flowers and if i put my basil directly in soil it will grow stronger.

So i did, but i also heard that it needs direct sunlight and temperatures above 53.6F (12C) and our lowest is 51.8F(11C),so as the sun goes down,i rapp my basil with a plastic bag.

But my biggest question is, why really did the leaves start making leaves smaller,is it biggest it only produces big leaves in summer??Is it because it's too cold for it??

Is it okay that i put it on a soil even with out a direct sunlight??

Is it ok that i put a plastic bag??

Did i did anything wrong in what i did withy my basil??

What can i do to make it better..

Thank you very much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with my basil

A couple things I would think: First, basil is an annual, and although you can extend it's life by pinching the flowers and leaves regularly, it's not meant to live for more than one season really. It may just be winding down. But...Second--41F is too cold for basil. It's not enough to kill it outright like a freeze would, but it does tend to send it into a dormant type state. I would try to keep babying it a bit, and it may come back or may not. The small leaves may be either the end of life cycle, an I got too cold thing, or something else entirely. Basil also does require a lot of light, so placing it out of direct sunlight will not be good.

Hopefully, someone else can address the wrapping in plastic part--I would think it could smother the plant and lead to pest/mold issues, but maybe for just the night it's fine?

o
RE: Whats wrong with my basil

Basil performs very poorly here at the end of summer/early fall when temps are in the 50's F. Anything below 60 F is too cold for good basil performance.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here