Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boyle014

Recreating Aveda comforting tea

boyle014
15 years ago

Has anyone successfully matched the flavors of Aveda comforting tea? I know the ingredients are licorice root, peppermint, sweet fennel (ground), and basil, in that order, but I don't have a guess on the proportions...

I really like this tea, but it is very expensive to buy at the store.

Comments (8)

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Ingredients are generally listed in the order of the greatest quantity first. So who needs a recipe? Try making it yourself and don't be afraid to experiment. Start with a 1/2 teaspoon of each of the ingredients. Or start with 1 teaspoon of licorice, 3/4 tsp peppermint, 1/2 tsp fennel, and 1/4 tsp of basil. Brew up a cup and see what you think. Adjust the individual amounts per the taste. Keep notes or do it in a way that is orderly and makes sense. You may not get the mix exactly the same but I'm sure you'll get something you enjoy. ;)

FataMorgana

• vicki_73160_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Boyle014

I have been searching for the same recipe and found a post of the Aveda Tea recipe.
    Try this:
    I think I have found the right amount of each ingredients! Here's my Aveda Tea recipe (it's a work in progress):

1-1/4 C Licorice Root

1 C Peppermint Leaves

1/8 C Fennel

1/8 C Basil Leaves

Hope you like it!

• desertrose77
    14 years ago

Hooray! I LOVE the Aveda tea as well, but can't afford $15 for 20 bags. :( I will try your recipe ASAP. Quick question: Do you use Fennel Seed or Fennel Powder? And does it matter that I can't seem to find "Sweet" fennel?

• christinemos314_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I also Love the Aveeda tea and just bought some this week. Cost $15.00 for 20 tea bags. I decided to try to recreate with the help of this site. I just came home from Central Market where I purchased a box of their own (Oranics) licorice peppermint tea. Cost: $5.99 for 15 bags. It tastes almost exactly like the Aveeda Tea! I also purchased some fennel seeds and anise seeds. I threw a pinch of each in with the organic tea and it is FANTASTIC! I will never again have to pay that rediculous price for licorice tea!

• sweetart4jc_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

TRY THIS!!!!!
    at your local grocery store, purchase Yogi (brand) Kava Stress Relief. It has the same taste plus a little cinnamon hint, but it doesn't need sweetener in it b/c it has stevia leaf. Another suggestion, if you wanna go there, get a box of Peppermint tea (any brand) and add it to your Yogi Kava Stress Relief blend.

Best Part: it cost less than 5 bucks!

• carol tuck
    5 years ago

This tea recipe is a little off because the ingredients listed are in order of quantity by weight not volume. Licorice root weighs a lot more than peppermint. The proportions by volume are more like 1/4 cup of licorice root to a cup of dried peppermint leaves.

• Jan Burwell
    2 years ago

I assumed fennel seed (...... because I have purchased 'the real thing' in past..... definitely fennel seeds.

I am going to mix up a big batched and give with handled mesh tea strainers to my co-workers as Holiday gifts.