Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktp101

I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice

ktp101
9 years ago

I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it. zone 11 here all year round.

I have little knowledge on how to take care of herbs and been doing it for almost a month now. It brought me this far but I'm afraid I can't go any further with just managing to get by. I need help.

currently I have Rosemary, Thyme, Basil (I don't know specifically but I think its a sweet basil), Tarragon (I don't know if French or Russian) and Peppermint

I think most of them are in good health for now and are place where there is a direct exposure of sunlight everyday

The Thyme I have now is place in a 4" pot but when I transfer the plant in the pot I found red ants living in it. Should I be worried about It? (I think I killed the queen ant).

The Basil is already transferred in a 4" pot and doing great. should I water it everyday or see if it needs watering? when do I need to cut the stem to propagate it? (if you need a photo of it pls ask to advice me better)

My Rosemary and Tarragon is still in its original container (the black plastic container that you see when buying a new plant). should I transfer it to a new container to 2"-4" pot?

The Peppermint is doing well and now growing more stems and leaves. when can I propagate it? also it is place in 2 inch pot

quick questions:

Should I plant the herbs in the ground or just put the herbs in pots?

I read that I should check the roots if its white sometimes to times. Should I look at the roots or not?

when transferring the plants to the pot. Should I put medium size rocks on the bottom of the pot or not? they says that it prevent for the roots to rot at the bottom (or was it the soil?).

Comments (10)

• ktp101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this my basil... is there something wrong?? I don't know if it is really okay or not

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Sweet basil is an annual plant - generally living for one growing season. This basil just looks like an older basil plant...probably getting toward the end of its time of being productive. You may wish to start more plants basil from seed to keep your basil supply going.

FataMorgana

• ktp101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for telling me.

can you suggest anything that can help with my basil? or I should start over again and let this one die/wither away?

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Keep it going if you can. I was just suggesting that you start some new plants since the production will drop off after a while. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

FataMorgana

• ktp101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

okay thanks

• greenman62
    9 years ago

basil can start from cuttings in water
    so, if you are in a hurry, or low in seed, you can try that.

sometimes you can extend the life of basil and other herbs by cutting off all of the flower heads.

generally, they dont last longer than 1 year
    but, i have ad some go 2 and a half so far.

most herbs will grow in pots or in the ground
    as long as you have good water retention.
    think about putting some mulch around the base.
    i do that for potted plants as well.

i would not try to look at the roots, it could disturb them from growing.

do you fertilize them ?
    i use urine (my own pee)
    1 part urine, to 5 or 10 or 20 parts water
    i usually go with 1/8 to 1/10

urine is high in nitrogen, and has P + K, and other micronutes as well

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Basil and the other herbs you mention grow so much better in the ground. I don't think you need to water every day. It depends on how often you get rain and how hot it is there. I've grown basil in pots in 8b, I used to live in 9a, and I never watered my herbs daily. In the ground your basil should become a small shrub. You can take cuttings now if you want to.

• mystmaiden
    9 years ago

For the ant problem in pots I use cinnamon sticks stuck here and there in the pots. It works well against fire ants. Just put new ones in every now and then

• syntria
    9 years ago

"I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it. zone 11 here all year round." I'm so jelly. ;_;

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz