Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hops question

Posted by biscgolf virginia (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 10:26

each year i burn off my asparagus bed and some other sections of my garden. my question to you guys is whether i can do this with my hops as well. i am somewhat hesitant to try it due to the fact that hops aren't as deep rooted as asparagus, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hops question

I'm assuming you are "burning off the beds" for the same reason we mow our asparagus bed before the new shoots sprout in the spring, to clear the bed of last year's debris for the new growing season.

I don't know if hops could take a burning or not. Personally, I would use loppers or pruners and trim the dead vines close to the ground and just remove the dead aerial portions. It's much like clipping a clematis in the spring and it's short work unless you have acres of hops.

FataMorgana

o
RE: hops question

heard back from my hops purveyor (freshops dot com rules) and burning off is fine. yeehaw!

does a much better job of killing annual weed seed in my experience than simply mowing and mulching...

i don't have acres of hops but i have several hundred row feet and acres of other things to deal with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here