Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fledgeling_

Jessie's Sweet Pear Mint-for those who grow this plant, opinions?

Fledgeling_
16 years ago

I really like mint, and i had recently eradicated a patch of "chocolate" mint in the garden that I got at walmart a few years back. The plants in the pots on the shelf were variable and none smelled anything like chocolate, and now i suspect they were seed grown. The plant was attractive but inferior in smell and taste. So after a few years i got rid of it...

We dont really use much mint in cooking, but i do enjoy fragrance. Does this mint smell like its namesake, or, at the very least, very good as to be worth planting?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• peanuttree
    16 years ago

The "chocolate" in "chocolate mint" doesn't mean the plant is supposed to taste like chocolate - it refers to the dark color of the plant - it is otherwise a regular peppermint.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

I disagree with Peanuttree - sorry about that PT! I've had a large pot of chocolate mint for many years, and it really does taste like a chocolate peppermint patty - though some people don't get the flavour as much as other people do. For me, it's quite pronounced. Yes, it is derived from peppermint, but it does definitely have that chocolate-flavour overtone to it, and although the leaves are a darker green than spearmint, there's nothing chocolate-coloured about them - it just looks like ordinary peppermint. I also have the true peppermint, and there's nothing chocolate-y about that. I keep my mints well separated to prevent one taking over the other (all are in pots).

As often happens with cultivars, it's possible that your chocolate mint has reverted back to the original peppermint, Fledgling.

• Fledgeling_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, see i suspect the plant was seed grown because it did not taste like the true peppermint plant either, plus what i was saying is that each plant potted up and sold as that variety at the store was sightly different in aroma (i smelled them all) but i got it anyway, for some reason. That some people d not detect the chocolate i understood, but no one i knew could detect chocolate or peppermint. So it was inferior as i learned it was not the true plant, but a seeding sod as the plant. I want to know if sweet pear mint is good enough to keep and give space to.

• Fledgeling_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well... does anyone have this plant? It cant be that common. If not many people grow it, there could be a great novelty factor... if it smells like pears. Does it?

I know i sound a bit pushy but i can only get this plant by mail order, and its a mint going in the ground, so i kind of need to know, hehe.

• User
    16 years ago

Just a suggestion for mint buyers. Try to find a nursery that has the mint.Brush it and if possible nibble a tiny bit of the leaf. I have seen the pear mint at several different vendors but only two actually tasted or smelled like pears.

My chocolate mint came stolen from a Des Moines IA garden and it is like DaisyDuckworth's mint in that it tastes like peppermint patties. I had purchased several (Chocolate Mints) before finding a reall plant. A warning though some mints are sold only for the scent not for the taste.

I do not advise swiping any plant but if you are served a drink with a sprig that has not been badly crushed you can sometime root it.

• Fledgeling_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is a Jim Westerfield mint, and so apparently the only place in the US that is licensed to sell it is fragrant fields, and thats too far away from me, but i also assume that they must carry the real thing because they are the only licensed propagator in the U.S.

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

Richters also carries the Westerfield mints including the sweet pear. They are a Canadian place. I have had great luck ordering from them and they carry many unusual herb varieties. It is another source for you to check out.

FataMorgana

• donicaben
    15 years ago

I would go with Richter's. Fragrant Fields sells mints in horrible, HORRIBLE shape. You can see my review (with pictures) on Garden Watchdog.

• jll0306
    11 years ago

I just received this mint, Hillary 's sweet lemon and oregano - thyme mint from Fragrant Fields. The plants are sturdy and well rooted in their 4 inch pots. They were labeled, though one of the markers was stuck down in the side of the pot and not easy to see at first. Service was prompt, packaging was careful and al arrived in good shape.

Just posting this to add another opinion of this vendor.

Jan

• Mintman2013
    10 years ago

I purchased this mint from Fragrant Fields this summer. It arrived in great condition and is now really starting to take off. I have found that it is not the best mint for tea but I sure do love the smell. It smells just like a fresh cut pear without any hint of the typical mint smell. To get the strongest scents possible out of my mints I grow them in full sun and let them dry out between watering's.