Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Another Basil Question

Last summer I purchased some basil at a local flea market. I got about 4-5 months of use out of the mother plant and several cuttings. The benefits of this lovely little plant has been two-fold as I'm sure most of you know. First, it made for fresh herbs for cooking... big 'Duh!' there. Second, it made working in the garden very pleasant as a gentle breeze filled the area with the scent of basil. I enjoyed the smell so much, I planted cuttings all around my yard so that no matter where I was, I could go, "Oops!" and 'accidentally' bump a basil plant to get infuse the area with its scent.

I had a few cuttings and the mother plant in-ground on the northwest corner of my house, knowing full well what was coming with the winter, but I made sure I had cuttings growing inside. Today, I was out cutting the blackened stems of all the in-ground basil that got nailed by frost back in December. Even cuttings growing along the south wall of my house got hit. But when I got to the mother plant, I noticed that not all of it was blackened. While all the cuttings were black from being killed off, the mother plant's main stem and most of it's branches are greyish-brown. Being in Florida, we've only had a few frosts, with the worst one getting down to 28F. But I'm wondering, does the greyish-brown color of the mother plant suggest that it could come back in time? Or does basil generally die completely in a frost?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Comments (4)