Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

What to plant to deter deer, rabbits, and insects?

Okay, so I'm planning a rose garden this year and have already ordered some plants. The problem is I've read deer, rabbits, and japanese beetles love rose bushes and aphids can also be a problem. I looked up repellent plants for these pests and noticed a common theme: none of them typically like strong smelling herbs, basil, chives, garlic, onion, or catnip. I don't want to spray them or put bonemeal (or blood) down. Garlic especially seems to be good against rabbits and aphids.

I plan to make a few raised beds around my rose garden with a few of these plants in them to deter the pests, but the problem is I've never tried to plant any of them. I live in zone 7. I would like to raise chives, as I've heard great things about it repelling pests and also they're pretty and bees love the flowers, but they don't look easy to grow.

What plants do you recommend that are easy to grow? I'd like a maximum of three please, as I don't want to overwhelm myself. How does one grow the plants that you recommend (simple directions are fine)?

Comments (9)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Bad news I'm afraid. I don't believe planting anything near your roses will have any effect whatsoever on any of the pests you mention. They'll just ignore them and head for what they want to eat. I don't get rabbits or deer here but from what I've read on these forums only a physical barrier of sufficient height (deer) and or depth (rabbits), i.e. a fence, will keep them out for certain. Aphids will not be deterred by anything planted nearby, however oniony it smells.

Regarding chives they are dead simple to grow. Not at all fussy.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't afford to put up a 6-8 foot fence for deer, and I'm trying to avoid putting up a fence for rabbits. I just need something that will make them want my roses less. Out here there's plenty of food for the deer and rabbits and the hunters keep their numbers in check, so a little something that makes our yard less pleasant might work. It's worth a shot anyway!

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info. It's nice to hear that the plants are easy to grow...and invasive (not so nice to hear, but nice to know). Guess I have a lot more research ahead of me!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I don't think anyone said chives are invasive. They certainly spread in some climates and conditions but that is not the same as being invasive. If you want to plant a barrier you will need a lot of transplants anyway. In my garden they don't spread at all.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was refering to the catnip and catmint when I said invasive, though now that I looked back I see balloonflower didn't say invasive. I think this year I'll just put cages around my roses and save up and do research. I might end up deciding to just get a fence for the animals and plants for the bugs. The cheapest fence I can figure would cost around $200, and that's a lot for a small rose garden. It's also assuming I won't have to give in and buy a more expensive deer fence than the one I'd like to try first.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Catnip does spread via self-sowing but not overly so in my climate. It is a short-lived plant, almost biennial in nature and is not what I would consider invasive at all.

Deer are weird. You never know what they will decide to chew on. I had them nip out terminal buds young trees (not 1 but 2!) only to split the chewed parts out because they didn't like the taste. Rabbits too. They nipped down gas plants before they decided the plants were too foul and resinous to eat. Physical barriers are the best bet for the items you really want to safe guard.

FataMorgana

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Get an outdoor dog.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know fatamorgana. I think I'll save up for a fence and maybe also put the detering plants in.

Seysonn, while that is an obvious solution, our family is not ready for another dog and possibly never will be.