Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing American Ginseng?

Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 14:28

Does anyone know if American ginseng(Panax quinquefolium) can be grown in Southern California? Is anyone growing this in a zone 9 or 10, a subtropical climate, or Southern California? Its supposedly needs a colder winter to well. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing American Ginseng?

I'm no expert on Ginseng, but I remember that quite a bit was grown commercially in Wisconsin -- under shade cloth so it wouldn't get too hot or too much sun since it is an understory plant in Midwestern & Eastern forests in nature. I suppose you could always try and then write a report fior us.... ;^).

o

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 16:40

I guess I'm gonna be giving it a shot. =)

o
RE: American Ginseng?

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 16:41

I guess I'm gonna be giving it a shot. =)

o

My understanding is that Ginseng is quite difficult to grow and usually grows in a natural woodsy site. People here have tried growing it and it is quite a process and needs lots of artifical shade. I'm wondering if your area is going to be too warm and sunny? Also, it takes several years to produce a crop. Good Luck !

o

Ginseng needs cold weather. You might be the first to try growing it and digging it up to give it the "chill", then re-planting. It needs about 78% shade in the summer too, with damp, cooler condition like those found on the northern slope of a hill. It grows wild here in z6b TN. Not trying to scare you from trying it, anything can be grown anywhere if you can control the environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here