Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting basil from seeds

Posted by pinkazaleag z9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 14:37

I am a big fan of this website. This is the first time I post a question for your advice. My 7 year old daughter brought home a package of basil seeds and she is so excited about planting and taking care of them. Can any of you please give us a tip on starting from seeds? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting basil from seeds

Well with basil, they need heat... the closer to 80 degrees the more likely they will sprout. They like to be damp but not sopping... that's all the advice I have!

o

I've wintersowed multiple kinds of basil with no problems. check out www.wintersown.org

Barbi

o

Basil also needs light to germinate. Place them on top of your seed-starting mix and spray with water. Then cover with clear plastic to let in the light and slow down the drying out of the soil. They will get a gray jell on them, that's natural, don't fret about it, it's not mold tho it looks like it. Let them sprout and after they do, water them from the bottom by setting them in a tray of water, not by adding water to the top.
Another thing you can do with Basil seeds, you can sprout them on a new, clean sponge. They have a strong basil taste from day one. Use these sprouts for salads within a couple weeks after they sprout. You can do this inside in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here