Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsbaksh82

Newbie herb

fsbaksh82
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I received an herb seed set that includes parsley, thyme, cilantro, basil, dill, oregano, chives, mustard, sage and garlic chives. How do I start an indoor garden. From reading some posts, basil needs to be potted separately. What can I plant in a 24" window box, 12 ounce tin cans? I am mostly interested in parsley, thyme, cilantro, basil, oregano, chives and sage. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I don't understand the tin cans. I would just put soil in the window box and plant the seeds the recommended depth. From what I see most should be shallowly planted. Parsley is hard to germinate. Mine took 3 weeks to appear. Water when needed. I know that hard for a beginner. Moist but not soaking wet. You should put them in the sunniest window you have. If you can plant them outside in the summer or move the window box out there it will do alot better.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I suggest you look up each of those herbs individually. They do not all need the same conditions and they will grow quite large. Some are annuals ie you need to reseed every year. Some are perennials ie they will grow for several years. One is biennial (the parsley) ie will grow the first year, flower the second and then die. A 24 inch window box might accommodate one clump of chives, one parsley and maybe one clump of cilantro. You will find that a 12 ounce can is too small to grow even one plant of any of these herbs successfully to maturity. It might work for a few months. It would be better to spend a little money on some proper pots of sufficient size.

I would not sow directly into your containers but would start them in smaller pots ( one type per pot) and transplant the young plants where you want them later. The exceptions to that would be the parsley (long taproot) and the cilantro (tendency to bolt if transplanted).

Lastly, your herbs will need a lot of light and if you can possibly give them time outside in the summer they will do much better.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Ditto Flora--you've got quite a variety there. Not difficult, but will need more than the tin cans can offer. Look each up for watering and soil needs. All need full sun to grow, and some like basil are difficult inside at this time of year in cold weather areas.

ps--if you grow both the onion and garlic chives (and I do recommend both) just know that both will look very similar for the first year or so, until the garlic chive matures enough to start having the flatter, wider leaves.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Growing all those indoor ? To me it sounds like a tough proposition. UNLESS you have a greenhouse or a sunroom that gets plenty of direct sun.

Anyway, indoor or out door, I would plant oregano, sage and thyme each in a pot of their own, A 2 -3 gallon size should do it. You can pretty much co plant the rest in a window box. Then again, it depend how much you want plant of each. Eg, I have a 2.5' by 5' raised bed just for my parsley. I do about half of that for various kind of basil. I do about 3 square foot of cilantro and so on.

Mustard green ? I don't think it is a traditional herb.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Keeping your herbs in separate pots allows you to vary the soil, water, and light requirements for each herb. I would suggest starting your herbs indoors, but if possible move them into an outdoor garden (after hardening off, of course!) if at all possible.

There are many "mustard" varieties designed for the salad bowl. Check out any vegetable seed vendor for a wide range of choices. Grow as you would lettuce or kale and so those would be best direct sowed into your veggie garden come spring. Parsley and cilantro can prove to be problematic in transplanting the plants. If you want best results, I would suggest direct sowing in the veggie garden.

FataMorgana

• zzackey
    10 years ago

My basil and chives do well inside. They are in a sunny window.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting