Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Best roses for tea hips?

beesneeds
11 years ago

I want to put in some roses for their hips, but I'm at a loss as to what to plant.

I've read some things that speak generally, like rugosa or apothecary are good... But very little information about specific roses, by name.

So, what are really good roses for tea hips? Any that are particularly tasty or have nice fat hips worth brewing up? Or are well suited for making rosehip preserves? Or ones that you have found are really not good for hips?

I'm hoping for specific names to look for, like SilverX or Aunt Mollys Gold.. Or whatever. Seems like there's a million kinds of roses out there, even when I look them up under their general name, like rugosa.

I have room to accommodate at least three kinds. I'm kind of hoping for something bushier rather than vining. My neighbor has a crazy vining rose with little pink blossoms, but the thing eats the fence and it's hips weren't very tasty.

Sorry if this info has already been covered in another thread. I looked around a bit but didn't quite find the info that I was looking for.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022