Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie questions

Posted by docbuttons 6A or 7...not sure (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 15:43

Hello, This will be my 2nd real year planting vegetables for my SFG. This year I am going to add a small area for herbs. I purchased some oregeno, basil & rosemary seeds to plant...my questions are:
1. When do I start indoors from seed?
2. How much light (hours wise) do they need per day?
3. When can I plant outside?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie questions

Start basil, oregano, rosemary and others indoors. For rosemary, its a better germination rate if you get 'primed' seeds, as they usually are slow to sprout. Plant dill and coriander directly outside in late spring about mid May. Most of the herbs can be started indoors about the middle of April, and should be big enough to transplant by the end of May when there is no more danger of frosts. The indoor lights should be broad spectrum plant grow types, and they remain on for about 16-18 hours per day (use a timer). I use 4 foot shop lights and use grow light bulbs two per fixture and two fixtures per shelf. My shelf system is 7 foot tall and 2x4 feet per shelf. I also use heat mats under the pot trays and these are on until the seeds sprout and the greens touch a clear plastic domed lid thats covering each 11x20 inch tray of pots. I remove the clear lids at that time too. I prefer to use sterile seed starting mixes and many are actaully soilless and germinate seeds better than most regular soils. NEVER use dirt from outside, or plain potting soil for seed starting. These can contain pathogens and insects that will kill young plants just starting out. Following these simple rules, I guarantee you will have healthy plants. I do about 500 per year indoors.

o
Culinary Herb Starting Indoors

Here's a link to an introductory article on sowing culinary herbs at my blog (cut and paste this into your browser or click on my link below -- both articles appeared in this month, January 2009):

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/01/growing_herbs_for_cooking.html

Here's a link to understanding average last frost date and number of days in a growing season (this is something to begin mastering in your second year):

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/01/average_date_of_the_last_frost.html

To be on the safe side and to enjoy success the first time out, time your seed sowing indoors so that the plants go into the garden two weeks after your average last frost date. Give them at least 14 hours of light each day indoors, and make sure the temp stays at least 70F until they germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: HarvestToTable.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here