Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

growing Culantro in NY

hookilau
9 years ago

Any tips on growing Culantro indoors?

I have T8's in a room with an east facing window and a diffusely bright south facing window.

I just got it in the mail from P.R. and just put the plants in a glass of water for now until I learn more about it's habits. Hoping to keep them going till I can learn how to keep them happy (cut & come again) to summer outside & winter inside.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer
=)

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I would guess that it is a plant requiring full sun?? If so, you will need plant grow lights if you want to do your best by the plant. The sunlight is meager at best in NY (Western NY State here) through the winter. We can go weeks without seeing much of any real sunlight. Other than that, look back through back posts here for more on growing herbs indoors.

FataMorgana

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From what I've read so far, full sun will make it bolt, so will T8's for that matter.

Was hoping to connect with someone who already grows this plant and is familiar with it's peculiarities and culture indoors vs. it's natural habitat...grows wild in the bush in Trinidad.

Not looking to recreate that though. From what I've read, I think it may benefit from the same culture as Holiday Cactus, minus the cool nights.

Here on Long Island, there really isn't too much of an issue with lack of sun. I've a ton of succulents that are thriving under T8's.

I appreciate your input, btw =)

Looks like I may have to grow from seed though, the plants I got look pretty miserable =/

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I have never grown Culantro but I have seen it growing in full tropical sun in a regularly mowed lawn the island of Guadeloupe.

I am a little puzzled by your worry about bolting. I'm wondering if perhaps you have found some info relating to Cilantro? Culantro is a perennial so it can't really bolt.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Apparently, it grows better in shadier conditions and is prone to flower production under long, sunny days. It is listed as a bienniel. So is cilantro, I believe.

Hookilau, the very first thing you should do is pot your plants in a fast draining potting medium and get them out of the water.

Flora, see attached fact sheet regarding Culantro. I was not familiar with it, either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culantro.....new to me!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

rhizo_1 - I found some references saying it was biennial too but also many stating that it is perennial. Chiltern Seeds seem to think it is both!

I can only go by what I saw in that lawn in Guadeloupe and that was out in the blazing sun - but well watered by tropical rains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culantro

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I've grown other plants like valerian and catnip that while listed as perennials behave more like biennials because they are so short lived. Perhaps this plant is one of those "short-lived perennials" as well. For a constant supply of such plants, you pretty much need to plant new every year.

Sorry I missed "T8" as being lights. I do much of my growing outside and it didn't click as to what a T8 was.

FataMorgana

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists