Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying rosemary: it's turning brown

Posted by ditnc 7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 17:24

I have rosemary hanging upside-down drying in my kitchen. It's turning brown, but isn't it ideally supposed to stay green? It has been drying for about 10 days now, I believe. I had it uncovered until today, when I put a brown paper bag over it to keep dust out (I'll do that from the beginning next time).

I plan to use it to make infused oil, and also for cooking. But the brown-ness seems wrong...

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying rosemary: it's turning brown

Ideally, yes the herbs should stay green, but browning is common when they don't dry fast enough. NC might have a bit too much humidity, which is why the needles browned. Maybe next time try using a fan to quick dry--just the first day or so, then let hang until completely dry. My rosemary and other herbs tend to stay green here in CO, but we're very dry, humidity wise, and they also dry very quickly.

I don't think the browning should affect the flavor--most store bought rosemary is more brown than green if you think of it. I think you should have no problem using it for cooking, though infused oils can be tricky. Vinegars are much easier, and don't go rancid. If you do oil, keep in fridge and do small batches.

o
RE: Drying rosemary: it's turning brown

balloonflower, thanks so much for the reply. It has been very dry in the house, because the heat has been running a lot due to unusually cold temps. But I think it's dry now. I never did this before so wasn't sure when it was "done." I also had it uncovered by the kitchen window, which maybe I shouldn't have done.

Luckily, I have a huge rosemary shrub, so I have plenty to experiment with. Thanks again for the reply and tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here