Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil

Posted by 123Linda 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 17:26

I bought some basil with roots to plant inside. Brought it home, divided them and planted them in some fresh potting soil, clipped them back, then watered. 3 days later it looks like this. Yikes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil

Yuk! I wouldn't have divided them, only put them asis in a large pot.

o

Also, what was the reason for cutting them back? And does that pot have a drainage hole? They look as if they may be too wet and possibly have got too cold. Is it chilly near that window?

They've had multiple nasty shocks. Disturbed roots, decapitation and a change of climate. All you can do is wait, hope and not water for a good while.

o

I'm betting that when you divided them up, you were quite rough with them - yanked them out, breaking the baby roots, instead of treating them very tenderly and easing them out gently. That's an unintentional mistake made by many beginners. They're babies, remember, and those roots are fragile.

I'm also willing to bet they were handled quite roughly when transplanted, too. Stuck in the dirt without having a little hole prepared for them with a stick or pencil (a dibble). More root damage as a result.

They probably weren't gently tamped in with the finger-tips, just enough to help them stand up straight. Possibly they were just flooded with water in the hope that it would eliminate air-holes/spaces in the soil to stop the seedlings from collapsing.

Then they've been over-watered to the max, and the water gathered in that saucer - result - no drainage.

All is not lost. I see one survivor in that little field of death. Nurture it. Leave it where it is and try not to kill it with kindness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here