Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greek Mint

Posted by jackman1944 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 18:27

I want to grow some Greek Mint.Where can I buy the seeds?
Jackman1944

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greek Mint

Easiest thing to do is find a Greek, Italian, Armenian, or Asian Indian family nearby, they will gladly give you some, or even pay you to take some. It is a weed.

o

That is interesting I wonder if it grows in West Tennessee?
Jackman1944

o
Are you looking for spearmint?

You've got my curiosity up. Greek mint? I know spearmint is used in some Greek dishes -- called "dyosmos" or "menta". Dried spearmint is sprinkled over halloumi cheese and also over tzatziki--cucumber and yogurt salad. So is it spearmint (Mentha spicata) you are looking for? That should be fairly easy to come by. And to keep it under control, simply grow it in a container.

Here is a link that might be useful: HarvestToTable.com

o

Do yourself a favor and don't grow spearmint from seed. Mentha spicata is extremely variable from seed and often produces a plant that is inferior either in flavor or vigor to the named cultivars that are propagated by cuttings. Many plants called mint are not actually true mints (ie not Mentha) so they may be possible to grow nice flavorful plants from seed.

o

Try this:

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X4007&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id=8860650.17067

This site has about 40 different types of mint plants. Compared to just a very few mint seed types. Apparently, most mint is better as a rooted type compared to growing from seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here