Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mauri256

thyme as a house plant

mauri256
9 years ago

HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting) so far--Has anyone planted Thyme as a house plant or any kind of herb that would work ?
Any ideas will be welcomed-Thank you
Mauri

Comments (14)

• chervil2
    9 years ago

Yes, I have kept thyme in a sunny cool window for the winter and it has done okay. When spring came I transplanted this plant outside where it thrived. In summary, I will not overwinter thyme in my house again. I dry lots of thyme during the growing season so that I have all that I need for cooking all year round.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Thyme is one of the arid herbs that are more difficult to grow potted. It can be done, but you'll need to look at the drainage, water, light, and temp. And f you overwater, you'll hardly know until the plant is too far gone to save.

You don't mention a specific reason for it--are you trying to grow for harvest, or just looking for a plant. If you're really not as interested in the herb, chives are much easier to keep, or scented geraniums are fun. Most herbs require more light than typical houseplants.

• mauri256
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you - I was thinking of making an herb house plant but I guess that's not such a good idea--so far I have jades 1 cactus that blooms when she's in the mood ha ha
    pathos growing in water and a 2013 poinsettia all green leaves yet the 1st time ever it is still alive for this amount of time 2 others I have to check on names --will let u know
    Happy to hear from you
    Mauri

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I would look into scented geraniums. They can be harder to find, but easy to grow. I have a rose and a lemon one. Nice green foliage, an occasional flowers. Plus, just brush them for scent.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I agree. Scented geraniums do make for better house plants than most any of the culinary herbs. Richters Herbs has quite a selection of varieties. I have a rose scented geranium indoors. Nice plant. A bright window is enough for them.

FataMorgana

• renais1
    9 years ago

I've grown thyme for years in a pot. The plant beautifully fills out the pot and spreads up well over the sides making an attractive bush. The fragrance when rubbed is pleasant, and a single plant will produce plenty of material for cooking. I like the German and lemon thymes for their attractive growth habits. Don't water too often, and keep them pruned in shape, maybe by cooking with them.
    Renais

• bardamu_gw
    9 years ago

I grow thyme, and creeping thyme, from cuttings and seeds. It's a wonderful plant and so vigorous, I dare say it's a weed. Indoors is easy. But hard summer sun is the greatest.

• Barb Conrad
    9 years ago

I would like to substitute another herb in soup for the thyme. What one would be appropriate? I do not especially care for thyme. Maybe this should be another post but I do not know how to go about it. Barb_roselover_IN

• bardamu_gw
    9 years ago

It really depends on your preference and the soup style more than what is appropriate. If you don't like thyme, you don't need to replace it from a recipe, just take it out. Though I am very much tempted to enumerate a whole stack of herbs that are awesome in soup. Maybe the next person will.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

What is the soup? Different herbs go with different ingredients.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I use fresh rosemary and parsley in my chicken soups.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Barb--I would look into Winter or Lemon Savory. It will have some of the same flavor notes, but doesn't always have them bitter note than thyme can have, especially when dried.

• Barb Conrad
    9 years ago

The soup was one with mainly mushrooms, garlic and onion, plus some veggies (used sweet potato. Thanks everybody. Barb