Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thyme, oregano

Posted by ChicagoDeli37 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 20:35

Last year I never took up my oregano or thyme. Dead of winter it looks like its still fairly fresh. Actually smells good sstill. Will these two start to grow when summer hits or should I tear them up.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thyme, oregano

These are both hardy perennials for me and come back every year.

o

Comes back every year for me too in Western NY State. Thyme is only dead when it looks dead. Oregano dies to the ground for me each winter and sprouts up in the spring. You must have more mild temperatures than I do for yours to still be green.

As a rule of thumb, be patient. Always leave perennials until the spring (at the very least!) to see what comes back for you. Some perennials come up late so learn those and mark them well.

FataMorgana

o

Looks like Chicago has a Ice storm coming its way so migh want to provide some protection?

o

You can cover if you wish but from personal experience (we get some real wicked ice storms here), low growing green plants like these come through pretty much unscathed. It is trees and larger woody plants that take the worst beating from such storms.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here