Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Few questions on several herbs.

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 20:42

Hi,

I have some questions on growing some herbs. I have a Lemon Balm plant in a 12 inch square pot. Recently I clipped off a bunch of leaves that looked burned at the tips. I decided to give the plant a pretty good prune. Now it is a low mound.

But the mound is really dense. I can't even move leaves out of the way to see the soil. Should I take the plant out and divide it?

Next questions -

I am interested in growing Oregano, Chamomile, Marjoram, and parsley. But I don't have room in the ground. But I do have a small Goji Berry Tree in a 12 gallon tote. Could I grow one of these herbs inside the tote/pot with the Goji Berry? The important thing is the herb not compromise the health of the Goji berry tree. Also the herb needs to tolerate same watering and soil conditions. I have the soil a mix of potting soil, compost, and a very tiny amount of clay dirt.

Does Anise Hyssop grow fast from seed? Could I use some during its first year? What would be a good soil and pot size for it?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Few questions on several herbs.

Lemon balm makes dense plants. In my opinion, they look best that way. I'd leave it be.

Herbs do best if planted one type per pot. Yes, we've all seen the beautiful mixed herb planters. But they do grow best if not shaded or crowded by other plants. And they all have their own sun, water, and soil requirements. With keeping them separate, you can address those specific needs.

I would keep the goji berry tree on its own so you can attend to its needs as you need to.

I haven't tried growing hyssop from seed. They are short-lived perennials so while I wouldn't expect any/much usable plant material from it this year, I would expect it to reach full-size quicker than many other perennials. Maybe full-sized by the end of its second year? I would suggest starting your seeds for use next year. Buy an older plant for use this year.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here