Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chives not growing back

Posted by julielindsey 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 22:05

I harvested about 1/4 of my chive plant about a month ago, cutting about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the plant as suggested by most herb guides I've read. There has been no new growth in the cut area, and I'm wondering what I've done wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chives not growing back

It could just be that they're not growing at this time of year.

o

Chives become dormant in winter, and even here in my subtropical climate, they'll often die right back to soil level. They aren't one of the earliest rousers in spring, either.

Let them sleep, and don't worry. Also don't feed or water them over winter. Just a little mist if needed to keep the soil from drying out completely.

o

The cut stem will not grow more than an inch or so after being cut if lucky, but each time you cut it makes the bulb send out new shoots. As they do go dormant this type of the year don't worry about the plants.

o

Make that time of year not type.

Preview is my friend if I read it. Sorry.

o

My chives are happily sleeping, dreaming of early Spring, under more than a foot of snow. I guess the seasonal nature of some plants is difficult to remember in places without such wintery weather....

I see you are in zone 10, from what I've read your chives will do best in a location that is *not* in the hottest part of your garden. Ah but if they are happy for you where they are and come back year after year, all is good.

FataMorgana

o

Like Daizy said, they become dormant in the winter.
I gave mine a final cut late fall and covered them with leaves. Of course mine are flat onion chives.
I have leeks, which I think are some kind of wide flat chives. They are live but not growing. The bulbs cannot get any tutrients from freezing soil. so they just hang in there. So are my garlics, shallots and onions.

o

I cant get my chive seeds to sprout in my greenhouse. will they sprout later? Everything else just popped right up. They are new seeds and from Burpee.

o

what isthe temperature in your greenhouse?
In colder air it will take much longer for onion seeds(or any seed) to germinate. If the seeds are viable, the will eventuall. You can even winter-sow them in the garden.
I would not bother growing cold crops in heated greenhouse;
a coldframe will do. This way you don't need to acclimate them later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here