Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soccergirl3183

Rosemary Drying Out

soccergirl3183
12 years ago

I keep trying to grow rosemary but with no success indoors. Either the plants die over the winter, or if I try to start a new one indoors, it doesn't make it a week without starting to go downhill. I know people have had issues with this before, but mine seem to be drying out rather than overwatered. The leaves go brown from the bottom up until the whole plant is finally dead. There is plenty of sunshine though it's indirect. The potting soil I start it in is moist enough, so there shouldn't be a problem with the plant having access to water. But the surface water doesn't seem to be penetrating the roots. I finally dug some channels down to the root ball with wooden dowels and that seems to be doing a better job, but since when do rosemary require constant water? This thing is going through a gallon of water every couple of days. It's a 22 inch pot that is sufficiently tall to hold the root ball for a while. Any suggestions? Should I change the soil out? There doesn't appear to be a drainage problem but perhaps the soil should be altered anyway? The plants I started last month in replacement of the old ones that died were rather large and a wider, flatter leaf variety than I usually see so perhaps that's the problem with the latest ones...? Thanks for the suggestions.

Comments (5)