Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet smelling thyme??

Posted by sakicat Arkansas (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 10:02

For several years I have had a thyme that had a sweet smell(similar to sweet marjarom) instead of the sharp smell of most thymes. I have now lost my plant and cannot find another. Does anyone have any idea what I had?? It was not one of the citrus thymes nor was it a wooly thyme. It had a shiny leaf, the stems were not woody, it was a creeping type about 6 inches tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet smelling thyme??

Could it be oregano? I grew both here and the thyme had a much smaller leaf size. They are similar. Sometimes different soil conditions also help to give you a different flavor and smell. Not sure how you lost the plant, but if it sets blossoms and seeds, you might consider collecting some seeds. If its rooted from cuttings, then using a rooting hormone may help to give you a continous growth.

o

No, It's not oregano. I have that also. This looks like some other thymes that I have but the smell is much different. To me, thyme and oregano both have a sharp smell that is not altogether pleasant although I love the taste of both in cooking. The one I am looking for has a very pleasant sweet smell. I don't think the soil would have anything to do with it because my mom and I both had it and it and it was the same at both our houses. I never noticed any blooms or seeds although I'm sure it must have had some. We always propagated by digging out a little clump from the side. I don't know why it died out as we had it for 6 or 7 years with no problems. Thanks for the input.

o

Wish I could help further.. About all you can do is to find sources for seeds and start a couple of plants using the diffeent seeds from different sources. Also, try to find a few plants. You amy get lucky and find that one or more of the plants you are growing are going to be similar or evcen the same. Just keep good records and mark each pot with its seed source. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here