Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bolting Dill

Posted by rweakley 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 11:28

Tried to tag this onto an existing thread, but got no reply, so here it is again:

How do you know when dill is bolting? Is it obvious like it is with cilantro? I have no problem telling when they've bolted because of the unusually thick stem which grew very much taller than the rest of the plant. Also the leaves became thin and spindly, but dill leaves are like that anyways!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bolting Dill

It throws up a flower spike which eventually opens to look like the link.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Dill Flower

o

I've seen the pics on Google before, but didn't know if they started out looking the same as your normal leaf stalks or if there was a differentiating feature.
Also, I've seen it before that you can cut the plant to the ground and it will come back. Any experience with this? I feel like the plants are getting way too tall and flimsy.

o

The flower spike is a thicker stalk that comes up from the center. It's obvious the plant is doing something other than continuing to make the fern-like leaves.

I've never tried cutting it to the ground. I've got my doubts about that working out well. If grown outside, dill doesn't get too tall and flimsy until perhaps the seed heads get too heavy but the plant is at the end of its life then. Are you growing these indoors?

FataMorgana

o

They were indoors for the majority of their lives. But now that they are so tall, they outgrew my single plant light stand. And if I left them under the fluorescent lights it would require moving the light too far from my other plants. Plus we've had a really mild winter here in west Florida, so I've moved them outdoors now.

o

If they are that tall and flimsy, I might try staking them.

Of course if your temperatures are that mild - as it has been here in the usually frozen North, try sowing some seeds in a pot or direct-sown into the ground outdoors. According to what Dr. Google has to tell me, dill needs at least 60 degrees F to germinate.

FataMorgana

o

Yes you can cut it back leaving 3-4" . You can also do the same with fennel too. I do this often to get new growth for the black swallowtail butterflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here