Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Five favorite tea herbs, cooking herbs and potpourri herbs

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I know I've asked some of this before, but I'm getting ready to put in an herb border. It's going to be along the edge of my fairly shallow back yard, overlooking the horse pasture. There's a drop off there, so I'm putting up a two or three rail fence (to keep the nieces and nephews from getting too close to the edge) and planting New Dawn roses. In front of this, I want to have a few rugosas (Therese Bugnet and Fru Dagmar Hastrup) and some herbs.

This area is close to the kitchen door and it's a long border, so I have plenty of room and I'll be using pots by the door for less hardy herbs...maybe some in the border too. I'd like to ask everyone their five favorite herbs for tea, five favorite herbs for cooking and five favorite herbs for potpourri. I realize there's overlap, so if tea and potpourri are the same, go ahead and list more cooking herbs :)

Thanks for the input!

Comments (14)

• patsycollins
    14 years ago

Tea - sage, thyme, rosemary, fennel, anything lemon scented (lemon balm, lemon verbena, lemongrass)

Cooking - all the above, plus basil (lots of different ones - the lemon is particularly good) bay, coriander, carroway, marjoram and sorrel.

Pot pourri - lavender, roses, coriander seeds, anything lemon or sweet scented.

Here is a link that might be useful: herb teas

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Tea: I use herbal teas strictly as medicines, but I break that rule by having a cup or two of Camellia sinensis per day. It's one herb you could consider growing, if your climate is right!

Cooking: I'm allowed to use up my 'tea category' limits, right? Parsley, rosemary, basil, garlic, chives, lemon verbena, caraway, golden marjoram, nasturtium, daylily petals, turmeric, ginger - oh heck, I love too many to list!

Potpourri: lavender, rose, orris root (which smells like violets and preserves the aromas of the other herbs), patchouli, lemon 'something'.

Good ol' lavender! If you want to eat it, you must get the true English lavender, Lavandula angustifolia (or some of its derivatives). Most of the other lavenders have a camphor-y smell and taste.

And why not throw a stevia in amongst it all? Or a lemongrass? Both can be very attractive. But if you want some sort of uniformity, you probably can't go past any of the scented geraniums, of which there are many 'flavours' - mint, nutmeg, lemon, rose, carrot just to name a few.

Garlic chives make excellent companions for your roses, and are pretty in their own right.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

Tea: Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Sage, Lemon Verbena, ummmm, Camellia sinensis -- and I wish I could grow this one!

Herbs (if you have such a long border why only five)
    Must haves are: Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, and Rosemary

I don't do Pot Pourries.

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Tea: Sage (also important in cooking), Chamomile, Lemon Balm (also in cooking), Spearmint, Passion flower

Cooking: Thyme (also tea), Rosemary (also tea), Sage, Basil, Lovage

Potpourri: Lavender, Roses, Orris, Lemon Verbena (also tea), Cedar

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great suggestions!

Westelle- It's a long border, but not everyone may pick the same herbs...so I'll end up with quite a few choices.

Is orris root difficult to grow?

I like the smell of violets...I already have some around a bird bath in the garden :)

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Orris root is an iris. Iris x germanica florentina. It's very pretty white with just a touch of blue/purple. The violet smell isn't evident with fresh root. You have to grate it and age it for at least a year for the scent to develop fully.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Cooking/Savory uses - parsley, hot peppers, basil, sage, thyme, oregano, garlic (grow hardneck in your zone), chives, leeks, onion (get a nice perennial one like a multiplier or walking onion for on-going garden appeal), lovage, rosemary, horseradish...

Tea - some of the herbs noted above, lemon balm, holy basil (I'm drinking some tulsi tea at the moment), peppermint, spearmint, catnip, chamomile, bee balm, mountain mint, raspberry, blueberry, cranberry, wild strawberry, lavender....

Check out what the Native peoples who lived where you do used for tea plants for some native herb plants. Native plants are generally pest-free and suited to your climate.

Grow some medicinals like calendula, marshmallow, and echinacea for flowers and beauty as well as possible use.

FataMorgana

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

let's see, so many to think of
    For tea - miint, lemon balm. stinging nettle, raspberry, lemon grass
    for cooking - chives, parsley, tarragon, borage, lovage, coriander, basil, thyme, savory, dill and many more, but I must have parsley, chives and dill.
    for companion planting - marigold, tansy, calendula, wormwood, nasturtiums

But this year I am increasing my herb garden. I have my herbs spread throughout my garden. Some in the back 40, some on the north side garden and some on the south side. Counts on where they grow best or if they can be dual purpose as companion plants and herbs as well.

It is my understanding if you grow herbs like basil and borage near tomato plants, it increases the flavour of the tomatoes.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, so many great possibilities! I'm going to fill this area up in no time :)

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. Now, I just have to narrow it down to what will fit in my space, although I'll try to get in as many as possible. I may have to put some of the cooking herbs in the vegetable garden. I'm also thinking of putting in a perennial bed behind the vegetable garden, so more herbs can go there, too.

A lot of places mention tansy and wormwood as good plants for the garden. Here, it grows everywhere and is considered an invasive weed, but I have to admit, we have a lot of good bugs in the garden.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I plant parsley, dill, basil, calendula, borage, holy basil, and other scattered herbs in the vegetable beds rather than in my perennial herb & flower beds. Some like the calendula and borage are in the veggie beds to help attract pollinators to the veggies. While I definitely mix stuff up in all my gardens whether it be veggies, flowers, or herbs, I like to keep the perennials in certain areas and the annuals, biennials, and tender perennials in the other areas so they can be easily replanted as needed.

FataMorgana

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Teas- Peppermint, Lemon Balm, Stinging Nettle, Agrimony, Licorice mint if I can get it to grow this year, Anise

Cooking- Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Anise

Raw in salads- Chickweed, Dill, Basil, Sheep Sorrel, Nasturtium flowers, Borage flowers, Malva family leaves

I don't do potpourri except lavender sachet bags.

Borage is great for attracting bees when interplanted with squash and cucumbers (I don't have to plant it, it's great at self-sowing everywhere). Sometimes I juice the leaves in the blender with lemon balm, peppermint, red clover, and stinging nettle, with to water to cover, and strain for a green drink.

• west_texas_peg
    14 years ago

The last 5 years we worked to remove all of our lawn; have finally reached the point today that our whole yard is a garden filled with flowers and edibles and NO LAWN!

The bees, butterflies, hummingbirds and numerous other birds are very happy to find Dill, Holy Basil, Lime Basil, Red Rubin Basil, Lemon Basil, (plus more), Comfrey, Bee Balm, Elephant Garlic, Detroit Red Beets, Onions, Egyptian Walking Onions, various Swiss Chard, Strawberries, Carrots, Crinums, Amaryllis, Rain Lilies, Daffodils, Grape Hyacinth, various other bulbs (what can I say...they are EASY), Agastache, Salvias, Iris, Cannas, Bluebonnets, Mums, Spiderwort, Asparagus, various Mints, and Blackberries, Blueberries, Pomegranates, Peach Trees, Apricot Trees, Pear Tree, Plum Tree, Apple Tree and Pecan Trees make nice with Red Oaks, Redbud, various Crepe Myrtles, Russian Sage, Hardy Asters, various roses (yes, I CAN grow roses!), Oleanders, various Hibiscus, various lantanas, Caryopteris, etc. And to all that are mixed in the veggies and annual flowers.

I'm an open book...still learning how to use everything we are growing, such as teas, etc. Next on the list of "To Do" are ponds and chickens (our one bunny is lonely).

Thanks to all the great people on GW who shared their seeds, cuttings, plants, bulbs, advise, etc., I now have a wonderful place to escape the world while I enjoy Mother Nature!

Peggy

• tracydr
    14 years ago

It's nice to have arugula in the cool season to make pesto when it's too cool for basil. The bees just love my lavender so even if I don't use it for anything (which I will) it's a great bee attractor. I'm going to plant more of it because it's beautiful and I need more bees.
    Love my basil of all different flavors. Can't live without some mint, thyme, rosemary, fennel, dill and green garlic.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

cooking: cilantro, parsley, basil, marjoram, dill.

Teas: spearmint, lemon verbena, lemon grass, rose hips, hibiscus.

No pot pouris even though I suppose I got the herbs for them...

Medicinal/other: rosemary, aloe vera, equinacea, thyme, oregano, valerian.