Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosessecretgarden_gw

Aloe vera Questioning

rosessecretgarden
14 years ago

Hi buddies!

How can we grow Aloe vera plants in our backyard? What are the basic requirements for it and are there any issues to deal with this plantation?

Comments (6)

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Easy as pie! Especially if you live in a warm climate.

Remove and plant offshoots or Âpups in spring, when they are about 9-10cm tall. It can also be propagated by seeds. Sow in situ at an ideal temperature of 21°C in a well-drained soil. Germination occurs in 30-180 days. Seeds need light to germinate. Prefers full sun and a rough, gritty, dryish soil, with neutral pH. It will tolerate light shade, high heat and drought. If over-watered, the leaves will turn a murky pink. Grows well in a large pot. In cold climates, it should be grown indoors as it prefers warm temperatures. May take 4-5 years to reach maturity and will reproduce for up to 25 years.

In short, it likes the heat, full sun, excellent drainage - and a minimum of water (but it won't survive without SOME water from time to time). My current patch, now 10 years old, has never had any fertiliser added to it, and it just keeps growing.

• dori73
    14 years ago

I have grown Aloe vera in pots in the home, but wonder if anyone has tried moving them out doors in the same pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbs Online

• rosessecretgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot daisyduck...You addressed my questions so beautifully and clearly! I will contact back again in future :)

• Mai_Ramadan
    11 years ago

Hello!
    I have a somehow related question:
    I live in Alexandria, Egypt (a climate very similar to costal parts of southern California) and I casually keep few plants.
    I have been having an Aloe Vera colony for many years now (about 20 years), and to my surprise , I have had one of the old plants shoot a lovely flower.
    The point is: I grow them in a balcony, so there will probably not be birds or insects to pollinate it. I have thought of using a brush to pollinate it (I am really eager to grow little ones from seed), but I don't know how effective would this be, and if there is any specific technique to do that other than merely passing the brush over the anther and the stigma of same flower/ neighbouring flowers. I have ONLY ONE PLANT in bloom, and I am worried it would not self polinate. Can you give me any idea on that?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Don't know. But google did give me these two links which may help. I'm sure Google can probably get you more info. Search for "aloe pollination" or "aloe hand pollination". A link on hand pollination.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe Guide

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I used to grow a variety of them in Vero Beach, Florida area. They flourished in pots. I had a huge one that had yellow flowers. No special care or watering. Full sun. I think the aloe vera prefers a shady spot. That's the best one to use for burns and such from what I've been told.