Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Perennial herbs with perennial vegetables/fruits?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I have a question. I know many or you have gardens or beds, specifically for herbs. I have a few smaller beds (on either side of my arbor) for roses and herbs, but eventually I would like most of my kitchen garden to be for perennial plants. This means, I want the blueberries, strawberries, purple raspberries, asparagus, roses, coneflowers, etc. in the same area as the perennial herbs...and maybe add a few annuals like dill or mint in pots.

So, does anyone else have this type of garden? Any tips or advice? It's a big garden, so I'm still planting annuals in some areas, until the beds are more established (potatoes this year where the baby asparagus will be transplated next year) but I plan to add in more perennials...and eventually move the larger annuals vegetables, with some herbs and flowers, to another area.

Here's a picture of my garden, from last fall. I'm still working on four smaller beds, where the two arches and bird bath are shown. This area is mainly for edibles, but I will have some sweet peas and morning glories over the arches, for now.

Does anyone else have pictures of their herb garden? Do you have any formal gardens? What do you use for paths? I like grass, but I know many people do not. Thanks for any ideas :)

{{gwi:25285}}

And here's a close up of my beds, with the roses and herbs, from last fall. This garden is also for my nieces and nephews to 'help in' so I hope that explains bunny (LOL)

{{gwi:45502}}

Comments (3)

• boxgrowergurl
    13 years ago

I think it's a beautiful garden! I tend to plant in grow boxes because I rent and because it's easier for me. But I wish you luck! I think it's going to be beautiful! can;t wait to see updated pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: What to Grow

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I mix my gardens - herbs, veggies, fruits, etc. side-by-side so I do exactly what you are suggesting.

A couple of suggestions:

1.) DO NOT plant toxic medicinal herbs in with edibles. Keep those in areas where mistakes won't happen. Even if you are sure where everything is, others might go to the gardens and not know any better. I realized this when my youngest child (a budding gardener) got old enough to go to the gardens himself and pick lettuce, spinach, purslane, and manner of other edible stuff from the garden to munch. I plant various blooming plants in certain areas to attract pollinators plus they're pretty. That year I had some foxglove planted in one of those areas. Nothing bad happened, but I had to do some special instruction and ban picking anything from that garden bed. I no longer plant anything that "dangerous" near to the edibles.

2.) Plant your asparagus where you can mow the bed. We mow ours in the spring before anything sprouts. Clears all of last year's debris - necessary.

3.) Check the plant's needs. Not everybody likes the same soil. Blueberries are a prime example. I have to put them in a special bed and amend the soil because they love high acid soils. That is not what I have. See what sun, water, soil ph, richness of soil, etc. requirements they have. Put like needs together.

4.) I often have small areas in the veggie bed where I start perennials like coneflowers. It's a bit of a nursery. But I have to end up moving them before working the beds the next spring. It takes effort and can hold up working the soil. If I was smart, I would just have set areas for this but that never seems to happen and probably never will.

5.) Check out companion plantings. Sources like Carrots Love Tomatoes can give you great advice on what to plant together and what not.

6.) Blooming herbs, perennial or not can attract many beneficial pollinators to your garden. Pollination by insect is requirement for success with many foodstuffs. I have calendula, marigolds (tagetes), marshamallow, borage, chamomile, and other blooming plants always next to or intermixed with the fruits/veggies.

7.) Raspberries sprawl. Best to have them not intermixed. Have a dedicated area. But be sure to encourage some wild rubus species that grows around you which you enjoy to a wild corner of your property. They often out preform the specially bred cultivars I've bought and planted. Of note, wild raspberry leaves do make a nice tea. Raspberry leaf tea is often drank medicinally for women's issues.

8.) I would plant some pole or runner beans by your arches. Some like "scarlet emperor" and hyacinth beans are quite ornamental. Some peas are as well. I like "dwarf grey sugar" for its pretty blossoms and edible pods.

9.) Encourage your youngling helpers to suggest some additions to the garden. It makes it more fun for them. Many vendors sell "kids" collections of seeds if you need some suggestions.

FataMorgana

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxgrowergurl- Thank you...it's really too big, but I got a little carried away last year, when we found the arbor! :)

FataMorgana- You always have such excellent suggestions. I do plant the dwarf grey sugar peas and they have beautiful little blossoms! I haven't grown the scarlet runner beans, but I do mix Emerite and Purple pole beans together...which have lavender and purple flowers, respectively. The beans are light green for Emerite and purple on the other...which turn dark green, when you cook them. The nieces and nephews LOVE that little trick :)

Also, I have been rethinking putting any non-edibles in with the edible areas. My ground is not quite flat in that area (where the birdbath is) so I'm thinking of changing a few things...maybe creating a butterfly/bee and other beneficials area, where the wooden bench is now, but no use going into all that now, since it will probably keep changing, until I actually start digging! LOL