Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margowicz

Growing herbs

margowicz
11 years ago

Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something.

I am primary looking grow herbs mainly because my animals like them dragons geckos I and trying grow rosemary from seeds with chives bay basil red and sweet parsley coriander normal and lemon tarragon mustard sage thyme lovage mint dill rocket and chillies (I never tried animals with chillies)

I am currently using reptile lights (link below) as these are like desert rays I am wondering if I can use these?

Also is any the above wrong to be starting from seeds I seen on web that it is very hard geow rosemary from seeds and cuttings are best if so I am wondering how it would be best to get them and is there anymore that will thrive in Irelands climate?

Thanks in advance

Comments (22)

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot light link

Here is a link that might be useful: light

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Gardening is a fun past time and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Some plants are difficult to start from seed. That is why some suggest cuttings of certain plants as the way to start them. But just because something is hard doesn't mean you can't try it. You just need to have the right expectations going into it.

I'm not that familiar with reptile lighting outside passing it by at pet stores. I would imagine, however, that lights designed for plants would be best for plants and reptile lighting (which seems to focus on UV from the little bit I saw after googling them) would be best for reptiles. You can always try a small test to find out for yourself but try it only with a few easy to start plants so you can adequately judge it and haven't sunk much into the test if it doesn't work out.

I don't know what kind of growing conditions you have in Ireland. If you could share some general info about that we can maybe suggest something. We do also have a regular here from the UK (flora) that may possibly be able to give more specific info since most everybody else here is from the US and not familiar with your region's gardening needs.

FataMorgana

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have always been intrested in this but now is getting more and more (probably as gonna try bit cooking)

In Ireland we have quiet a bit of rain I think per annum around 100 inches we do not have a hot summer around 16C is warm to us hot is around the 20C mark (around 68F)

I would not mind converting a waredrobe with lights even getting a greenhouse going but the waredrobe I see as better as I can put lighting up grow them year round

I had a rosemary plant beside the light and the whole thing was leaning towards it now I turned it and it looks like it is turning over to it again.... is this a good sign?

Here is a link that might be useful: different type of lighting

This post was edited by margowicz on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 13:46

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Rosemary, bay, parsley, thyme, sage, mint, tarragon, lovage, rocket (annual) and mustard (annual) are all totally hardy outdoors in NI and will be easily available in any garden centre. (Rosemary and bay as plants rather than seeds) Chillies and basil are easy from seed but need to be grown under glass, although basil might limp along outdoors in high summer. Coriander is a bit hit and miss but can be grown in a sheltered place outside. Sow in April. However - it is February and starting seeds now is not optimum. Do some more reading and start them at the appropriate time. You could plant plants of rosemary, bay, thyme, sage and mint outdoors now if you are impatient but the seeds should wait and be sown on a windowsill later in the spring. If you already have a rosemary plant, plant it outside now. Leaning towards the light is not a good thing - it means that there is too little light.

I really would suggest you grow the majority of these plants outdoors in a low tech way rather than trying to learn about plants at the same time as learning about plant lighting etc. For example, there is absolutely no reason to wrestle with growing rosemary indoors. You could grow a hedge out of it in NI.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will put these in the lightst part of gardens I can't plant them as I have a concerete gardens I will think about moving when I get into this.

So would you advise get a small green house? if just for the basil and chilles?

Also what is the best time to start cuttings from the rosemary and would I treat these like the plant with roots (same watering lighting and soil) or would I need change to another?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Woody herbs eg rosemary, sage, thyme do best from summer cuttings but I have done rosemary at any time of year. Bay is not easy from cuttings and it is probably best to buy a plant. Unless, that is, you live in a place with a lot of bay trees in which case you might find seedlings beneath them. Mine all come from seedlings which have sprung up in leaves I spread on my allotment which are collected by the council in local parks.

I am sort of surmising from your use of the plural of 'gardens' that you are not originally from the British Isles. I think that reading gardening magazines and websites such as BBC and RHS will provide you with a lot of useful information about gardening here.

AS to whether to buy a greenhouse that is entirely up to you. A cheap plastic covered mini greenhouse might be best for a small space. I don't have one. I grow my basil and chillies in the porch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosemary cuttings

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Sorrel, chives, hardneck garlic, violets, and dill are a couple more that could be added that like it cooler. Calendula, nasturtiums, and borage are nice to include in as well.

If looking to grow things like basil and chili peppers which like sun and warmth, you could see what varieties are suggested for your region. Some varieties have been bred for their tolerance to cooler/wetter conditions. They may meet with more success than varieties bred, for example, in Mexico or American Southwest.

FataMorgana

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to give these ago I am going to buy couple plants to try the cuttings now I know a bit basics I may as well try and see thanks advice

Is there any place buy certain types garlic I guessing you don't get them from tesco's lol

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

I cannot comment on what type of garlic Tesco's sells but our supermarkets generally sell only softneck varieties of garlic. Here, hardneck garlic is the one grown locally - only one to survive my northern climate, and so it is available at farmers' markets and other places that feature local foods. The other place I can source hardneck garlic for planting is vegetable seed vendors. You could look to either of such sources for garlic to plant.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: hardneck vs. softneck

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

margowicz - any garden centre will sell several varieties of garlic but you may be too late since they are usually planted in the autumn and are displayed with the spring bulbs from late August onwards. The garlic from Tesco will certainly grow if you can't find named varieties. Or you could buy online.

Fata - the distinction between hard and soft neck garlic is not so much emphasised over here (don't know why) and often there is no mention of which it is on the packs of cloves for growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Perhaps your growing conditions makes it a non-issue (hard vs soft necked). It is an issue for my conditions.

FataMorgana

• DTLHerbs
    11 years ago

I would strongly discourage growing Tarragon from seed. French Tarragon is the variety that has flavor, and it is a hybrid. When you plant Tarragon seeds you will get Russian Tarragon, which grows rapidly, but tastes like grass. I recommend buying your Tarragon from a nursery or taking a cutting or division from an established plant owned by someone you know.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had them mixed in trays with parsley and more so I had to throw the lot out ... now I doing it in seeding trays so I can cut it away

What hormone root grower is best I got strike and an organic on from B&Q with john innes seeding/cutting compost

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh is these ok from seed

parsley
    coriander
    marjoram sweet
    dill
    rocket?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Parsley, coriander, and dill are wonderful from seed!

FataMorgana

• DTLHerbs
    11 years ago

We have never grown rocket, or as we call it here, arugala, but the others you mentioned all do well from seed.

• DTLHerbs
    11 years ago

We have never grown rocket, or as we call it here, arugala, but the others you mentioned all do well from seed.

• krissykells
    9 years ago

Hello all,
    New to gardening and have a few questions....I've found mixed answers online thus far.
    I live in Florida, I'm looking to start a small herb container garden outdoors. Was thinking to plant each one in individual pots about 8 inches wide x 6 inches deep.
    It's quite warm here during the day and night but they can be brought inside if it gets to cool.
    My questions are, will they survive from seed outside? Most forums say start indoors
    How many seeds per pot for the size I have?
    i reside in growing zone 9 and I will be planting basil, parsley, chives, garlic
    And lavender just for the nice scent
    Any help would be appreciated!

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Just an fyi - you'll probably want to start new threads for your questions. The original post is someone growing herbs in the northern part of the UK, cold and damp as I understand it compared to your own conditions in Florida.

For your questions, yes. Many people start seeds indoors but it isn't the only way. I start indoors the plants that have long lead times because I live in the Frozen North with a short growing season. (In fact, it is snowing hard at the moment.) But I start basil by directly sowing into my vegetable beds once it has warmed enough and I can plant tomatoes and peppers outside. I've direct sown parsley, chives, and garlic too with great success. Lavender, however, would be a big no. I believe it is more of a challenge to grow from seed.

In the end your challenges would be different than mine. You may need to shelter the young plants in the hottest parts of the day and keep close eye on their water levels. I generally don't have to worry about hot sun or moisture levels that much. But try it. Save half your seeds to try indoors if outdoors fails for you.

FataMorgana

• acorneti
    9 years ago

Chilies? Only 'corno di toro rosso´, I think.

• bardamu_gw
    9 years ago

Hi margowicz,

I'm guessing your terrarium is maybe 10 to 50 gallon and that you are planting herbs directly into the soil inside the terrarium, oh maybe 2 inches of soil? Is this actual soil? Placing a pot into the substrate is probably the way to go. I would go with a creeping thyme or a creeping rosemary to start with. Both can withstand a good beating and they won't grow too tall. I wouldn't eat herbs growing in a reptile habitat. I believe you'll have greater success growing most of the mentioned herbs outside in the spring.

• bardamu_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Krissy,

I grew herbs on a patio for a couple years and I learned that the bigger the pot, the more stable the roots will be in terms of temperature and moisture. Usually the plant is happier in the bigger pot. I would try different sized pots to see how plants behave differently.

I have started lavender from seed with decent success for several years without special tricks. It takes some patience the first year of the plant. Cuttings are remarkably easy with lavender and stay 'true' to the hybrid.