Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help dividing French tarragon

Posted by hortster 6A (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 16:22

I have a French tarragon plant that has grown quite large and needs to be divided. Has anyone had experience doing this? The cluster of stems is 15" across at the base, and my question is, how sensitive is it ot being chopped into numerous pieces (say 8 or more) to multiply the crop? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help dividing French tarragon

I am assuming that you can see the new growth peaking from the soil. I would dig up about half the plant leaving the rest undisturbed. This is so that if the divisions don't take then you will at least still have the mother. The number of new plants you can get will depend on the number of new shoots there are. I would try to keep 2 or three shoots per division although technically each one could become a new plant on its own. Having multiples in each clump will help the survival rate of each clump. Tarragon won't start growing until the days get longer. The divisions might take better once they just start to grow.
If there aren't any new shoots peaking out then don't divide yet.

o
RE: Help dividing French tarragon

Thanks for the advice. We are still a month and a half away from the beginning of spring. I will heed your directions! Thannks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here