Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting herbs? is it possible?

Posted by yukkuri_kame 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 16:39

I have 2 rosemary bushes the size of a toyota prius. The lavender is vigorous bush as well.

In places, they are encroaching on other herbs - thyme & marjoram, which are doing OK in my dry mediterranean garden, but not growing like the others.

Was wondering if it would be possible to graft one of the less vigorous species onto a rootstock of rosemary or lavender? It's all Lamiaceae, right? I'm thinking marjoram to rosemary would be my first attempt.

Is this just silly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting herbs? is it possible?

Ummmm... the growth patterns between the woody lavendar and Rosemary wouldn't work real good with the more soft stemmed thyme or marjoram. These herbs all grow differently, so what you might be evaluating as not thriving may be just a given plant's way of growing. I would just let each grow to it's own 'music' and, perhaps, provide more growth-room away from your larger palnts.

Have you found a good book on growing herbs? I can't recommend one right now since my favorites are rather old, but it seems as if you might benefit from more information about the growth habit of the various herbs.

o
RE: grafting herbs? is it possible?

Sounds like you need to be pruning your Rosemary back. Are you just growing your Rosemary for looks or are you using it a lot? Rosemary seems to love being cut as that also helps it keep a nice shape as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here