Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessmccu

Astrogarden Help- Thyme roots submerged in water??

jessmccu
14 years ago

Hello! I received an Astrogarden (a technology adapted from outerspace plant growing techniques) for Christmas and things seemed to be going well at first but now I am having major problems with herb growth. This technology uses chia sponges with pre-planted seeds that are set into a bowl full of water equipped with an air pump to continually send oxygen to the plants' roots. Above the bowl is a "growth lamp" that mimics the effects of sunlight. My astrogarden has 3 sockets for planting herbs, so right now I am growing thyme, chives, and basil. These are the problems I'm having...

1) The basil is growing crazy. I trim it back everyday now but it won't stop growing! And the root system is already huge. I am afraid that it is absorbing all the nutrients I put into the water and choking out the other herbs. What can I do to stint it's growth?

2) Everything I have read online says thyme is supposed to have really good drainage in order to grow well. My thyme is currently growing out a soil sponge immersed in water and is not looking too healthy... Any suggestions?

Any help would really be appreciated! I love fresh herbs and as a student can't afford to buy them every week from the supermarket!!

Comments (4)