Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatotomata

Herbs in big outdoor pots; how many per pot?

tomatotomata
11 years ago

My pots are 25-30 gallons. Last year I had a basil plant that pretty much filled up one pot. Are there some herbs that grow a little smaller, so I can combine 2 or 3 in one pot?

Comments (5)

• Daisyduckworth
    11 years ago

I'm a one-plant-per-pot person because when crammed in together, you create Competition - and one plant will always out-compete the others. It's different in the ground where there's a natural 'flow' of nutrients etc.

You've made a major discovery, however - it's true - herbs ARE usually bigger than beginners are led to believe!! Even 'little' ones like chives or parsley are much bigger than you'd expect when mature.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

Like Daisy I too usually only put one herb plant per pot, but I have been known to make a show-pot by combining several that make a pretty planter. I also will sometimes add a small flowering plant(s) to add some color... like a bright Pansy or two.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

Being really limited on space, and particularly full sun locations within those spaces, I was planning on combining several herbs into one pot other than things I will be harvesting often, like arugula or shiso.

Thanks for asking this question, tomato.
    So then, since planting in the ground is not an option for me -- which is the lesser evil, you guys? Planting three to a 3 ft long rectangular container or each in its one smaller container? At largest, I'd only be able to use 10-12" pots to accommodate all the seedlings that are coming up right now....

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

If I container plant, just as the others have suggested I put one herb type per container. Depending upon the herb, it may also be just one plant in the container or it may be multiple. It really depends upon the plant and how I intend to use it. But since plants all like different amounts of water, different amounts of light, different soil preferences, etc. having only one per container works out best.

You can always try putting a variety of different plants in the same container. See how it fares versus single plant/species pots. Gardening is a great thing to learn experientially. Eventually though, I think you'll come to the same conclusion we already have. ;)

FataMorgana

• tomatotomata
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses, and I'll take your advice. Now I just have to decide which plants to choose!