Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lifesblessings

can I grow ginseng?

lifesblessings
15 years ago

Can I grow ginseng? Would I need to grow it in pots indoors? (zone 6/7). Do you know where I would find any root to start with? Would you recommend Korean, Chinese, other? Thank you.

Comments (10)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Simply do a search for the word "GINSENG".

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Grow outdoors in a woodland setting. I do not think it will survive in indoor culture.

If you live in the US, grow the native wild American Ginseng, Panax quinquefolius. It is hardy and well suited to growing in the forests of eastern North America.

Quite a few places sell ginseng rootlets and seeds. Neither is cheap and it has specific growing and germination requirements so do your homework first.

These retailers may have ginseng seeds/roots:

Richters
    Horizon Herbs
    Nichols Garden Nursery
    Pinetree Seeds
    Johnny Seeds

FataMorgana

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

Also check out Catskill Ginseng. You'll find all sorts of info on growing ginseng there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catskill ginsseng

• texas.transplant
    15 years ago

Regarding their health benefits, I strongly recommend Korean ginseng. Unfortunately I don't have any experience growing ginseng of any variety. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'd be very interested in growing some. Thanks.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    15 years ago

I used to work in a Radio Shack long ago in north central Wisconsin. They grow lots of ginseng up there for sale to the orient. They had big auctions of it every year. It just isn't economical to market wild ginseng. It is too sparse in the woods and is protected in some places. The quality is pretty varied, too. Some Wisconsin farmers needed to find a new crop and with the help of some of the Ag. schools and Co-op Agents they figured out a way to grow it as a field crop. Ginseng must have shade so the farmers make long frames to hang shade cloth. The cloth has to be moved a couple of times each season and it is very difficult to haul long stretchs of it without some sort of device that wouldn't break. They bought 10 foot long CB/radio antennas and had a body shop weld a hook on the end. It would catch the edge of that heavy shade cloth and pull it without breaking. I sold a lot of 10 foot antennas. In fact I got a call from the company asking why I needed so many of them since they had never been a particularly big seller. Sandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention they usually grew the best crops from sections of the tubers from the previous years crop. I am sure by this time someone is selling tubers. It just takes too long from seed.
    Wild Ginseng grew widely across states like WVA,VA,KY,TN where there was still old growth forest but that has mostly vanished. Twenty years ago, some of the folks from those areas could still find good Sang as they called it, but it was overharvested for too long.

• carle1
    14 years ago

It all depends on where you live in the United States and it is important that you have well drained soil and some sub-freezing temperatures in the winter for the ginseng dormancy. For where to get seeds or rootlets, write to Lee's, P.O. Box 68276-G, New Augusta, IN 46268

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Can I grow it in SE Ga?

• chervil2
    10 years ago

From reading, yes you can. A shaded area is idea.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

sleeplessinftwayne, why did you have to move the shade cloth?