Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flutterby_404

What herbs can go in the ground & what should I keep in container

flutterby_404
14 years ago

I am about to start my very first garden & I have bought 1 of each of the following:

cilantro

parsley

rosemary

oregano

sage

dill

I'm also planning on getting some lavender, curly leaf parsley & basil.

Can I plant all of these together? I know rosemary does extremely well here, so that can go in the ground, but how about the others? Would I be better off growing them in containers outside?

I appreciate any advice, I'm still digging around the forums and I hear there's a companion plant section somewhere, but haven't found it yet.

Comments (4)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Good starting list. YOU CAN PLANT ALL OF THEM IN GARDEN.
    Lets divide them up:

ANUAL: Cilantro , Dills,. These, in addition being anual, also sort of cool wether, spring-like weather herbs. Definitelt they will be finished by July in San Antonio, maybe even sooner. To get best results you can plant them in partial shade.

BIANUAL: Parsley. parsley will live two years and do not grow very big. I would plant them about 2 inches apart.

PERENIALS: rosemary, oregano, sage, LAVENDER (I would also add a thyme): Herbs in this group are perenials, meaning they will grow biggere and bigger..like a small bush, for years. specially rosemary and lavender. Sage has different cultivars. Some can get real big. Of course, they can be pruned down to size. But generally, when planting, you have to consider their full size, giving them enough elbow room. In the mean time (first , second , .. years when they are small) you can plant things like parsley, basils,or chives... around them and utilize your garden space efficiently.
    ONE MORE THING. These herbs like well drained sandy, alkaline, relatively poor soil.

IF YOU HAVE GARDEN SPACE, PLANT ALL OF THEM IN THE GARDEN.
    You may want to plant cilantros in a pot so that you can shade them when necessary.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

A couple of points to add to Cyrus' comments.

First, Parsley is a biennial (lives for 2 years), not a biannual(occurs twice a year).

Second, 'perennial' means that they live for several, or many, years. Usually such plants can be quite slow to grow in their first couple of years, but (as Cyrus says) they can get quite large when fully mature.

Third, the annuals will only last one year (or one growing season). In the case of coriander (cilantro), this can mean it has a very short life-span. In a hot climate, it can go from seed to seed in 2-3 weeks. For such plants, growing them in winter might be the only option - and it is generally suggested that you replant every 2-3 weeks ('successive planting') to ensure a continual supply.

Most annuals (especially the very-short-lived ones) will self-seed readily. This means that they can become weeds in a short time. Be aware - and either collect seeds as they ripen, or prevent the plant from flowering (remove flowers before they begin to produce seed).

Parsley, which goes to seed in its second year, also self-seeds readily - but (as with the seeds of your annuals) those seeds won't always land where you want them!!

In short, all your plants will be much happier in the garden than in a pot, doing what comes naturally, and will be much easier to look after. Personally, I'd keep an eye on the oregano - it's not as badly-behaved as mint (which likes to take over), but it requires watching, as it shares that tendency to spread, without being quite so aggressive. A large pot might be the answer if you have limited space.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

You need to know what to plant where and when. Cilantro and dill are generally planted in the fall here in Texas, because they will bolt out just as soon as it warms up a little usually the end of April until the first part of May. Basil loves our hot summers. Rosemary does great here and grows year round. Arp Rosemary is the best cultivar being hardy to zone 7, but it needs a well drained area to grow in. And I grow oregano and many other herbs year round down here on the coast.

So before you start planting, why not check with the San Antonio Herb Society. You can get lots of good information from them. Also check with the Bexar County Master Gardener Association. Between the two organizations, you will be able to get lots of helpful information.

• flutterby_404
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I swear this is the most welcoming message board I've ever been a part of.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it so much.

I'm getting my 'garden mix' soil in the boxes today, so I will hopefully be planting over the next few weeks!