Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground or pots/

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 20:55

I'm refurbishing my herb garden. I've had most of them in large pots, but when I first started, I put them in a 3x3' raised bed and everything went crazy! I didn't know one from another!
I now have 1x1' pavers in a diamond pattern with pots of herbs interspaced.
I've noticed my thyme is very sparse. I don't know if it's from our 2 week freeze or becoming rootbound?
What herbs, in your opinion do better in ground VS in pots?
I have a 4x12' area in a diamond pattern facing south against the house. I'm interested in culinary herbs, but might eventially be interested in teas and medicinal herbs. Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground or pots/

To me, ground is always better if you have the option.
Another thing is to plant herbs in WELL DRAINED raised bed. Have a different bed (or area of bed ) for the perennials and the annuals.Mostly because the two group need different care. leave open space between them. Consider how big they can get down the road. Even within the perennials they need different care, like onion family cannot be treated like Mediterranean herbs. So growing herbs require some time to know them. Growing herbs as ornamental is one thing and growing them for daily culinary use is another.

JMO

o

Ground is always better than pots unless your soil will be a huge problem in regards to the soil type needed by the plant. But many plants can often deal with a wide range of conditions that are outside their optimal preferences. Try the ground first.

And as someone who grows both medicinal and culinary, never intermix the two types of plants unless you are talking about medicinals that are safe to eat - example: things like calendula, borage, lemon balm, mint, etc. Keep any medicinals, especially the toxic ones out of the spaces for edibles. Locate them in separate gardens.

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 19:11

The thyme should be just fine with freezing at least in the ground it is. Maybe lots of freeze/thaw cycles have damaged some of the roots.

The only thing you might want in pots is mint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here