Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which would do best?

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5A (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 21:35

I got some herb seeds the other day and would like to plant a few, plus I want to order some plants also. Would it be better to plant the seeds in pots to go in my sewing room that has windows all around and is heated, or should I plant them and put the pots in my semi-heated garage under lights. I don't want to winter sow them. Barb
Thenks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which would do best?

How warm is semi-heated?

FataMorgana

o

Fatamorgana - 50 degrees. Barb

o

50 F is generally too cold for seed starting. I would personally start them under lights indoors (not garage) or winter sow where possible.

FataMorgana

o

It depend on the herbs. For example parsley and basil are way different.
With things like parsley, cilantro, chives you can germinate them in a warmer place (room temperature), then after germination keep them under light in your garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here