Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Herbed Pop!corn

CA Kate z9
15 years ago

I'm looking for a T&T herbal sprinkle that tastes wonderful on popcorn. I'd like to be able to mix my own, but would consider a purchased brand if it's really good. Anyone?

Comments (2)

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

God bless her... and here's her list (I'm sorry GW doesn't translate my Mac database very good):

1/4 cup dried parsley
    1/4 cup dried savory
    1/4 cup dried savory
    1/4 cup dried thyme
    2 tablespoons dried marjoram
    Grind all ingredients together.
    Â Herbal Salt Substitute (2)
    3 tablespoons dried basil
    3 tablespoons dried marjoram
    3 tablespoons dried parsley
    3 tablespoons dried thyme
    4 1/2 teaspoons dried chives
    2 1/2 teaspoons dried paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
    2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
    Â Grind all ingredients together.

For myself, I'd opt for any herbal butter. Just mash up some chopped herbs in some butter, and off you go. There are zillions of variations on the theme. Basically just pick which herbs you fancy. I think a nice Garlic and Chive butter would be nice.

Mint and dill
    Bergamot and lovage
    Lemon verbena and grated orange peel
    Costmary and tansy
    Basil, oregano, and thyme
    Marjoram and garlic
    Garlic, sesame seed, and chives
    Dill, mustard seed, parsley, and a touch of lemon rind for fish and potatoes.
    Thyme, garlic, chives, oregano, and parsley for tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, or beef.
    Sage, parsley, and chives for chicken, veal, rice, and pasta.
    Tarragon fennel, lemon rind, and parsley for fish, chicken, or eggs.
    Chives, mint, and chervil for fish, tomatoes, carrots, or peas.
    Basil and garlic for lamb, chicken, or fish.
    Salad burnet, garlic chives, and parsley for potatoes, tomatoes, veal, or salmon.
    Savory, marjoram, and parsley for beans, veal, beef, corn.
    Caraway seed and parsley for cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and bread.
    Aniseed, grated ginger, and orange rind for pork, chicken, or carrots.
    Coriander, cumin, parsley, and dried red or fresh jalapeno pepper on rice, chicken, pork, potatoes, peas, or corn.
    Basil, tomato paste, and oregano for fish, chicken, pasta and rice.
    Rosemary, chives, parsley, and garlic for potatoes, rice, beef, veal, chicken.
    Tarragon, chives, chervil, and white wine for fish, chicken, or eggs.
    Basil, thyme, and parsley for bread, vegetables, tuna, salmon, and prawns.
    Anise hyssop, parsley, and chives for fish, chicken, veal.
    Mint, garlic, and parsley for lamb, mussels, swordfish, chicken, peas, carrots, green beans, or eggs.
    Rosemary, savory, thyme, oregano, marjoram, lavender, and garlic for grilled meats.
    Calendula petals, chives, and parsley for chicken, rice, or eggs.
    Scented geranium, rose, or clove pinks for toast, scones, or waffles.
    Mint and dill.
    Lemon verbena and grated orange peel.
    Costmary and tansy.
    Basil, oregano, and thyme.
    Marjoram and garlic.
    Garlic, sesame seed, and chives.
     For every 125g butter, mix in 2 heaped tablespoons finely chopped herbs. Roll into a log shape, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freeze. Use herb butters on cooked meats, on muffins, scones or in sandwiches. Any herbs (usually the leaves but sometimes the flowers or pulverised seeds) can be used in almost any combination, limited only by your imagination and personal taste. Try the following recipes:
    Â Chive and Cardamom Butter:
    250g clarified butter
    1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/4 cup chopped chives
    Â Melt the butter and stir in the cardamom and chives. Serve warm poured over steamed cauliflower, peas, carrots and potatoes.
    Â Chive Butter:
    40g butter
    2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
    2 tablespoons chopped chives
    Â Mix all together. Perfect with potato.
    Â Ginger Butter:
    125g butter
    4 tablespoons finely chopped ginger in syrup
    4 tablespoons ginger syrup
    Â Combine all together. Delicious with chicken in sandwiches, or on scones or muffins. May be used as the butter base in cakes.
    Â Lemon Butter:
    125g butter
    4 tablespoons finely chopped lemon balm, or lemon thyme or lemongrass or lemon verbena
    Â Mix all together. Goes well with fish or chicken.
    Â Mint Mango Butter:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 fresh mango, peeled and pureed
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
    pindh salt
    Â Cream the butter and mix all the ingredients together until well blended. Roll into a log shape, wrap well, and refrigerate. This does not freeze well and is best if used within 24 hours of preparing. Serve with fish, pork or beetroot.
    Â Orange Chive Butter:
    1/2 cup butter
    1-2 teaspoon grated orange rind
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped chives
    Â Cream the butter and mix all ingredients together until well blended. Roll into a log shape, wrap well, and refrigerate or freeze. Serve with prawns, lobster, cooked carrots or pumpkin, or chicken.
    Â Rosemary Butter:
    125g butter
    1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
    1 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
    2 teaspoons grated orange rind
    Â Combine all ingredients. Serve on muffins or scones or as the butter base when making fruit or banana cakes, or for making pumpkin scones. Goes well with beef, lamb or chicken.
    Â Sage Butter
    6 tablespoons butter
    12 sage leaves (1 tablespoon when chopped)
    salt and pepper
    1 teaspoon onion juice
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    Â Combine all ingredients until mixture is smooth and ingredients well blended.
    Â Tomato Basil Butter:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind\
    pinch salt
    pinch pepper
    1/4 cup minced basil leaves
    Â Heat the olive oil in a small frypan. Add the tomatoes and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes form a puree that will mound. Let cool. Beat together the butter, tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Roll into a log shape, wrap well, and refrigerate or freeze. Serve with fish, chicken or vegetables.

With herbs, I believe in experimenting and imagination! *NB. I'm told American butter is heavily salted, so use either salt-reduced or unsalted butter or a substitute. >

• queuetue
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I make something similar, but I add vegetative yeast. Not everyone knows what it is, but any decent health food store should have it - cheap in bulk, and much tastier than it sounds! Almost like a vegan Parmesan cheese, and it lends an amazing deep and delicious flavor to popcorn.

On another note, veg yeast, oil and ground dry coconut whizzed in a blender till smooth is my all-time favorite spread on bread, sometimes flavored with similar seasonings to the popcorn recipes above, but usually straight. I call it "MUCS butter" after the coop where I first discovered it. Try it before you knock it!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks