Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs in partial shade

Posted by taylorbright Charlotte, N.C. (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 22:15

Hey,

I posted a similar message on two other forums (want to make sure I cast this net wide!) But, I'm trying to grow some herbs in partial shade (and maybe more than that. Also, trying a little shade garden and trying to grow some veggies in the more lit places.) But, I'm looking for any advice and suggestions about what to grow. I have room, so I'm looking for a lot! Thanks. And you can see what I'm doing here:

http://mercenarygardens.blogspot.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs in partial shade

Do some googling, and also do some searching here.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=herbs+for+shade&forum=herbs&forum_name=Herbs

Here is a link that might be useful: herbs for shade

o

All kind of basils and mints.

o

It is my experience that basil likes as much sun as it can get. It will grow in partial shade, but tends to become very leggy as the stems reach out for the sun. Even mints will do that if there is too much shade. Most of the popular culinary herbs (the so-called Mediterranean ones like basil, thyme, rosemary, sage etc) like at least 6-8 hours of full sun every day, if not more, and they like the heat, too.

o

Some herbs like shade and cool areas, some like very hot and full sun. Without really knowing what 'herbs' you plan to grow, there isn't an easy answer. Recently, I posted a comment about the thousands of diffeent herbs, when in fact that count is incorrect and could reach many hundreds of thousands or even more.

o

Not to mention that.....

Cooks and herbalists mean a plant having specific medicinal or culinary uses when they say "herb". But to a botanist, an herb is a plant without woody stems, in other words not a tree or shrub. That expands the number even more! ;)

So any direction people could give when they say "herb," especially identifying specific plants, will help others to give the information that is being looking for.

FataMorgana

o

I guess what is needed is the type of growing enviornment, in that if its full sun, or partial sun, how much per day. Additionally, it also depends on morning sun as opposed to afternoon sun. An example of some common herbs; things like rosemary, dill, and basil do well in full sun, whereas something like cilantro cannot tolerate too much sun or heat.

o

I noticed the tree growing over your beds. If you want to garden and the tree isn't all that dear to you I'd have it removed. I live in a forest and have cleared out a nice area to garden, I do have to plant varieties with shorter matutity days though. I'm still trying to find varieties of tomatoes that will do better here. Good luck. As for herbs, they are right basil and most culinary herbs need full sun. But parsley is one that will do ok in part shade (4-6 hrs of full sun, not filtered). But with a tree like yours overhanging your raised beds I'd say you have full shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here