Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My basils has tilted

Posted by vickgeo1981 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 2:55

Hi, one of my Basil, the healthiest and strongest so far has tilted like this plane http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/images/two_forces_turn.gif

It did it when it first came to surface and started growing the first 2 leafs,so i turned the other side looking at the sun, and now it did it again, i turned it again the other way, do you know if i do the right thing??(I would of guess if i turned it the first time and it work it might work now,but it looks worst then the first time)

By the way, now it started growing 4 leafs (In a cross paterns)and a 4 appearing under them so my question is do i cut off the 2 leafs that merged the first time it sprout??

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My basils has tilted

1. Do not cut off anything. The seed leaves will shrivel and fall off in their own good time.
2. Give your basil more light. Possibly even outside in your region, unless you are in the mountains. It is stretching to the light, that is why it is leaning. Take it out during the day for an hour or so and increase the exposure each day until it is outside all the time. Turning the pot helps but is no substitute for adequate sunshine.

o

Hi,thank you,i am in zone 10,and the sunshine is from 7:30 in the morning till 7:30 evening,and the days will get longer till about June that sunset will be at 21:30,i turn it alot of times during the day,the leafs are straight now,but the main body has twisted

o

Are your plants outside? That's where they will do best in Cyprus.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:43

o

Yes they are outside,and i did noticed that the leafs have small very small black and brown spots, and i have 3 things in mind,one is it the fact that i put organic compost that has potassium?? Two do i overwater it or not watering properly?I wait untill the surface of the soil is completely dry before watering it,and three,i did notice that there is moist drops in the morning in the leafs,any ideas??

Thank you

o

You said its compost WITH potassium...
does that mean extra, added potassium ?

If you had added too much, it could have blocked other nutrients. You could try giving it a balanced fertilizer with micro-nutrients, or, even better, something like fish emulsion.

Normally over, or underwatering causes the TIPS of the leaves to turn brown or black.
soil should be moist, not wet, and allowed to dry a bit.

it could also be a fungus.

also, look very close under teh leaves
make sure there are no pessts.

check out the link
it could help...

Here is a link that might be useful: Black/Brown splashes on sweet basil

o

If the plants are in pots have you got any ground they could be transplanted into? In Cyprus Basil should be a plant and ignore herb. In the ground it will need no feeding, just watering if it starts to droop. Can you post a picture - identifying problems without is really difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here