Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parsley - brown crunchy leaves -- help!

Posted by mariapaz CA (10) (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 5:53

Hi. I'm (quite obviously) new at this and need some help. I live in a hill area I got a few Italian parsley plants at the local store and planted them (with the top half of their organic biodegradable or something-of-the sort pots) in the ground -- according to instructions. They are in a raised bed with about 15 in of store-bought dirt (Miracle-Gro's Organic Choice) Under that layer the soil is not entirely but mostly clay-like. They are getting about 7 hs of sunlight every day. I do the finger test to water them. The day after I got them (I hadn't put them in the ground yet) I saw they had wilted but after I put them in the ground they were fine. Now all plants have some (I'd say about 10%) of their leaves brown and crunchy. Are they getting too much sun exposure? Should I transplant them even though they don't like it in order to save them? Help! Please? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parsley - brown crunchy leaves -- help!

Parsley can take plenty of sun once established, but baby plants, or those which have undergone a transplant operation, need some protection from extremes.

Remove all those dead leaves, and provide them with a little shade in the afternoons, and shelter from any wind. Don't transplant them again.

With luck, they should resurrect, but don't be surprised if the bolt to seed in protest. That's OK. The leaves won't be as tasty once that happens, but at least your plants will spread seed around for next year. Expect some seedlings to appear in astonishing places.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here