Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help to identifying this mint plant

Posted by chrisfam none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 6:37

my neighbor throw it away, I save it by putting in my pot. Does anyone know what mint plant is this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help to identifying this mint plant

The color makes me think of lemon balm. But if it has a minty smell to it, with full smooth sawtoothed leaves like that it is most likely spearmint. Have you tasted it?

o

I think it is cuban oregano, Plectranthus amboinicus.

FataMorgana

o

definitely NOT Cuban Oregano. That is a succulent, with round thick fuzzy leaves. These leaves are pointed, smooth surfaced, and thin.

o

Check out google images for cuban oregano. Seems to vary some in habit and appearance - probably different varieties but I still say Plectranthus amboinicus. You can ask on "Name that Plant" for many other opinions, if you wish.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Plectranthus amboinicus

o

I am pretty sure that the original photo is more closely related to the mints in the lamiacea family than it is to Plectranthus amboinicus. Here is an article I wrote a couple years ago about Cuban Oregano. http://dtlherbsltd.blogspot.com/2011/02/herb-of-week-cuban-oregano.html?m=1
We have grown it for several years now and have really enjoyed it.

o

I would certainly say it is not lemon balm or spearmint.

Perhaps the OP can tell us something about the scent?

What about a Salvia such as S guaranitica?Or S 'Black and Blue'?

o

It could be a salvia, that makes sense. It may be easier if we knew how tall it grows, and whether it grows in clumps, or spreads randomly.

But I agree, scent is the best clue. Especially with lamiacea since so many look similiar.

o

• Posted by act2 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 16:13

Is it fruity sage- salvia dorisiana, with a fruit scented peach smell, soft bendable leaves?
Compare to the picture here: http://www.colonialcreekfarm.com/search.asp?keyword=salvia+dorisiana&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=GO

or the broadleaf thyme cuban oregano, with a strong lemon thyme scent, with thick leaves?
http://www.colonialcreekfarm.com/Cuban-Oregano-Broadleaf-Thyme_p_47.html

I hope this helps

o

Perilla frutescens/Shiso

o

that looks a lot like Indian oregano, called karpooravalli. I remember munching on it when i was a kid. very strong flavor. It was never used in cooking though. More like a medicinal herb.

This post was edited by archoo16 on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 11:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here