Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raw_nature

Herbs?

Raw_Nature
11 years ago

I am curious: What herbs do you use for what? Do you grow the herbs yourself or forage for them?

Example:

I use stinging nettle as a nutritive. I forage for it. It can be found near banks or other moist, fertile areas.

I grow raspberries and my women uses it to help morning sickness..

I think it would be helpful for people, as well as interesting...

Appreciate it,

Joe

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You might be interested in the Herbalism Forum, which is more geared to the various uses of herbs. This forum is more devoted to the culture of herbs, especially (though not exclusively) culinary herbs.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

For culinary, utilitarian and medicinal use depending upon the plant - I grow and wildcraft so many that it is truly hard to say more exactly. But I also grow herbs for their beauty, my own knowledge (to learn a plant by growing it), and to restore native plants and habitats.

FataMorgana

• chervil2
    11 years ago

I use mints as a beverage, a marinade, a salad green, a tea, and a delightful chewing snack while I am outside walking.

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhino: I am aware of that, the herbalism forum has few people...

Fatamorgana: I appreciate what you do... You sound a lot like myself!..

Chervil: Thanks for posting.... The more lively the forum is the better!

Joe

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

While I still do grow my basic culinary herbs in pots (sigh), I use to gather several wild when we lived in the country: Stinging Nettles, Jewel Weed, and Miners Lettuce in the Spring. About now I'm really missing access to the Miners Lettuce. I did bring some of the Black Raspberry roots with us, but haven't found a good spot to put them in the ground; may have to go with a huge planter.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Re: Herbalism forum

Obviously the Herbs and Herbalism forums do overlap. I tend to think of the focus of this group is growing and harvesting herbs with some light usage information while the Herbalism's forums focus is medicinal herb usage with some light growing/harvesting info. But as you noted, the Herbalism forum is a low-volume forum and in my opinion largely due to the fact that it is quite contentious. It is not a friendly forum.

We do discuss herbs of all types here but the bulk of the content is about culinary herbs - that is what people are talking about and asking about. Discussions about types of herbs other than culinary ones are most definitely welcome though if you are wishing to talk only of using medicinals, that would probably best fit in the Herbalism forum. I hope this helps - and welcome!

FataMorgana

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hear you... That was my thought herbs and herbalism go hand to hand... My focus is not only on medicinal herbs but mainly on wild edibles... It just so happens that the majority of wild edible are medicinal... I also would like to wake people up and show them that there is the highest
    quality food right in their lawns - medicinal or culinary.. Also that the common "culinary" herbs are also highly medicinal... I would just like to learn/ inform people who use herbs - whatever their intentions of use is doesn't matter so much.. Would just like to see what you guys are doin with herbs and how you are obtaining them,etc,etc...

Thanks,

Joe

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Westelle:

Sounds like you have adobe clay or what? I am sure there's is Plenty if wild edibles right around you... In fact, there is probably something similar to if not better than miners lettuce! If you are interested get a few good books on foraging your area, or around the world forthat matter... If you YouTube "eattheweeds" this man tells you a few hundred wild edibles.. Beleve it or not the majority of them is within one mile of where you live.. I know a man just north of me in Canada that lives off wild edibles exclusively..

Best of luck,

Joe

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone interested in foraging for wild edibles,medicinal or culinary, check this out.. He also has hundreds of YouTube videos showing specific plants, habitats, uses,etc.. I would check "eatheweeds" for a Bette understanding.. But this link below is a good start

Here is a link that might be useful: Eattheweeds

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This link is about the man who lives excusively off wild plants one mile around his home... Very interesting... It could possibly save lifes in a crisis situation... In the link below, make sure you watch the YouTube video link in the middle of the page to get a better understanding.. Let me know what you think.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Free living