Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
za'atar, anyone?

Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 9:07

The argument over what Za'atar is in English is convoluted. Web search turned this up:

translations "include Origanum majorana (sweet marjoram), Origanum syriacum (also known as Biblical hyssop, Syrian oregano and wild marjoram), and Thymus capitatus (thyme). Za'atar barri ("wild za'atar") is identified as Origanum vulgare which in English can refer to European oregano, oregano, pot marjoram, wild marjoram, winter marjoram, and wintersweet"

Whatever it is, I have a plant (responsibly wild crafted from a mountainside) that has been happy and abundant in a pot for years. Since we're moving in June, when it's hot as h*!! and dry here, I've been advised to start now putting things into pots while the weather is still reasonable and just a bit rainy. It was so pot bound it took me over an hour of gentle convincing to get it out. It got a major haircut, and put into a much bigger pot. Will it live or die? One can only hope. Now I have a MOUND of fresh stuff for drying and making into a yummy condiment also called za'atar, dried leaves mixed with sesame, sumac and olive oil.
Keeping fingers and toes crossed for the lavender, out of the ground and potted, plus a young wild bay laurel that I found growing near the compost. That got potted too. The other wild bay is a small tree and I doubt I'll be able to move it. My only (?) problem now is how to uproot and move the monster aloe. The new owners are going to destroy the entire garden and put in concrete, so my 10 yr. old paradise must be moved plant by plant to my new place.
sigh..........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: za'atar, anyone?

Here's my recipe for Za'atar - I am very fond of sumac!

Zaatar
1 cup sumac
2 cups roasted, ground sesame seeds
1/2 cup dried ground thyme
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried marjoram
2 tablespoons dried savory
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste (optional)

Mix all the ingredients together except the salt. Taste and add the salt if desired. Keep the zaatar mix in a tightly closed jar (the sesame seeds will last 6 months maximum); it will stay fresher in the refrigerator or freezer than at room temperature. Use as a dip for pita bread. To serve, dip pieces of bread into a bowl of olive oil, then into the zaatar, and eat.

And I've always puzzled over the inclusion of both oregano and marjoram in the recipe - I've always used the two interchangeably, and can't tell the difference between the two in a dish! So I just use Origanum vulgare (common oregano) in the recipe. Marjoram is a closely related, but different, plant - Origanum majorana - which is a little less rampant than oregano.

What species of aloe do you have? If it's Aloe vera, you can just take one of the many 'pups' (off-shoots).

You might shed tears over leaving your beloved garden, but I hope the move goes well, and you get to create another one in your new home! Meanwhile, continue by taking as many cuttings and divisions as you can! Sounds like you're doing OK so far.

o
RE: za'atar, anyone?

Source for a Zatar blend

Here is a link that might be useful: Zatar spice blend

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here