Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margowicz

Oregano

margowicz
11 years ago

Hi all can I ask is there any special care I need for oregano.

The problem is this I bought a oregano plant last year towards winter anyway it died as I over watered it.

Then came plant 2 got that maybe a month ago bairly watered it plenty of air around it and it started to die.

Now I got 3rd as I thought coming into spring it will do well I was right I got it maybe an inch big about a 2 weeks ago it shot up it must have grown a good 5 inches but look the other day and it is also starting die by the looks of things something like what happened last two I don't know if it the compost I use.

I got jekka book looked at it but it doesn't say about the best compost to use I looked on line and it says loam soil is the best john innes number 3.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Comments (10)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Where is it margowicz? Mine is outside in the ground but not doing much since the weather has been so miserable. Oregano is totally hardy and would be best off outdoors and watered only by the rain at the moment. If yours grew 5 inches in 2 weeks that is not a good thing. It would appear to be far too warm. Again I think you are in danger of loving your herbs to death and expecting them to grow too fast at this time of year. JI no 3 is for plants which are going to be in containers for a long time so would seem OK for Oregano.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

5 weeks it was on 08/02/2013 I placed order got mine around week later so around 15th I cannot put it in my garden as it is a concrete gardens.

I couldn't understand it as all others are doing really well only one that died was chillies but I found out they hate cold conditions.

So can I leave mine outside even in the frost well it spots snow here now. it wouldn't be in danger of freezing or would it be best leave it out for a day get watered and bring it in at night to avoid frost damage?

Weathers a joke first day spring tomorrow and it still awful weather

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where is it margowicz?

I have/had it in a bedroom with window open plenty and heating off in it it I don't think it hot otherwise the chillies would be still alive :P

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Oregano should be outside, even in a pot. It is not an indoor plant. Frost will not hurt it.

Chilllies are a totally different kettle of fish and need really hot temps and lots of sun. There is not really enough light here in the winter even if you can provide the heat.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah I threw the plant outside earlier hopefully it be good, I stopped trying the chillies till the temps pick up at least gets in + for night time

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

maargowicz, chillies need temps of at least 12 and do better at 15. Read the link for more info. Chillies are not at all like the majority of common culinary herbs. They come from the tropics, not the med.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For me to do that it will take me to use lights so I may stay away or get a proper green house

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it is dead, would it be ok to mix stones with compost as I think it to wet I used a compost alone just and I think it to wet stones are free draining

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the chippings I am using is drounding the plant I use wood chipping not fine bark chipping

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thought I put this up incase anyone interested it was/it the wood chip doing it, someone told me it might be that so got two new sages planted the both in same pots same conditions one had chips other didn't one that did have chips in showed signs of it dying after about 10 days the one that didn't is going strong.

Was told chips can cause a fungus in the root base and if I am to use anything it be a small amount of sand to help airation