Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pedalpusher_gw

Please help with most useful herb tips!

pedalpusher
18 years ago

In a month or so I'm planning on giving a presentation on herbs. I have some basic knowledge but thought it would be nice if I could pass along some useful tips or info that actual herb lovers would share with us newbies. Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

You might have to be more specific on what you want... tips on USING herbs or tips on GROWING herbs?

• pedalpusher
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I hope to talk some on both growing and then at the end of the presentation I'd like to talk about using the herbs. So any tips would be very useful. I'm having a hard time deciding what people would like to hear about since they left if pretty open as far as the topic. They didn't specify that they only wanted to hear about growing them or just using them. Any direction anyone would have would be of great help.

• jlgreg
    18 years ago

I've been trying to do herbs the last few years and as a novice I've learned somethings the hard way:

1. some herbs are invasive and will spread quickly and take over your yard if you plant them in a bed instead of a pot ex.: mints
    2. some herbs are self-sowing and will take over too ex.: dill
    3. hardiness zones are no joke ie. if you live in zone 6 and the herb is only hardy to 7, it will die
    4. pay attention to mature height information, or you'll end up with tall border plantings blocking shorter interior plantings
    5. food dehydrators are your friend
    6. overwintering herbs indoors is hard if your house is dry
    7. most herbs seem to like soil that drains well and plenty of sunlight
    8. some herbs do really well from seed and shouldn't be planted all at once: dill, parsley, cilantro
    9. some herbs do better from transplants or propagation: rosemary, oregano

Give me some time, I'll think of some other things I've done wrong....

Jean

• pedalpusher
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jean,
    Thank you so much for your list of item as this will give me some information to get my presentation started with and I really appreciate it because it is all very needed and practical info.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

A lot depends on your audience. Are you a school student talking to other school students? Are you a member of a gardening club - if so, are the members elderly and experienced, or all newbies? Are they members of the medical profession? Or what?

Then you need to decide what angle you intend to take. Growing them commercially or at home? Using them for medicinal purposes? Using them for arts and crafts? Companion planting? Are the herbs you want to discuss native or introduced species? How can you overcome the problems of growing introduced species in a climate that is far different from their original habitat? Problems of growing herbs indoors.

OK, so I've complicated things a bit. Assuming that you have a mixed audience of local church members or something similar, I would suggest you speak about your personal experiences with herb growing. Start by explaining how and why you got interested in herbs to begin with, then continue with your successes and failures. This allows room for a bit of humour, which is always welcome in presentations! Talk about your favourite herbs and what you use them for and why you like them.

Alternatively, do some homework and check out the herbs which grow naturally in your local area. Talk about how the original inhabitants used them, and how white settlers began to use them, and perhaps mention environmental issues associated with them (are they becoming rare, have they been overtaken by introduced species etc).

If possible, use computers or a slide projector so you can have pictures. Maybe take along some samples to show how to take cuttings, or go about layering. Maybe end the presentation with a potting up session in which the audience can get involved - and take home a freebie or two.

If not speaking to gardeners, then maybe have a selection of herby goodies for people to eat and comment on - concentrate on the culinary aspects, the versatility of some herbs. You could mention, for instance, that basil doesn't always have to go with tomatoes, it can be used to flavour ice cream or bread or cookies. That sort of thing. Have some handouts of recipes for people to take home, or a list of 'which herbs go with what'. Astonish people with some unusual recipes! "Now, this is my garlic and parsley mousse". (!?!)

• granite
    18 years ago

Daisyduckworth, you are the BOMB as usual, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Pedalpusher, you already have some great advice listed above. I'll only add that what visitors seem to enjoy the most when I'm giving an impromptu garden tour/lecture is FEELING and SMELLING the herbs. A handy selection of lamb's ears, lemon balm, basil, thyme, lavender, rosemary, mint, etc to pass around the room will have everyone involved. If your presentation is to a group of people sitting in rows of chairs, start a sprig at the end of each row and ask the folks to hand them around. If the people are seated at tables, placing a "runner" of herbs along the center of the table would be attractive as well as instructional; particularly if the table has the paper tablecloth so that you can jot the name of each herb beside it!

I would recommend that you focus recipe information on cooking and decorative uses. Recipes for medicinal uses can prove difficult and there are wide differences of opinion as to what is still an accepted use for an herb. You could mention that herbs are used medicinally, but I personally wouldn't give out medical herb advice unless I felt REALLY confident in the information. I'll never forget getting a call from a fellow PT who decided to treat her headache with feverfew and overdid it....boy was she wretchedly sick. I felt sorry for her but luckily I didn't have to feel guilty as I hadn't given her any advice on medicinal herb use.

• jules7ky
    18 years ago

Hi, Pedalpusher - here are a few general tips I've found helpful:
    Growing:
    1. Most herbs don't require a lot of pampering; in fact, it's usually easier to kill them with kindness (overwatering, too much fertilizer) than through neglect!
    2. To treat pests, be very careful what treatment you use. I never recommend anything more toxic than dish soap & water.
    3. Herb gardening, like other types of gardening, needs a "Let's Experiment!" sort of attitude!
    4. Cilantro & coriander are the same plant. This gets a lot of folk - greenhouses seem to label it "Coriander", and what we all mostly use is the leafy part (cilantro).
    5. I second Granite on having some herb snippets or small plants along for a "scratch & sniff"! It engages the audience more than a simple talk or slide show. Try to label them so that people can make notes on what they like. I like to pass around plants in 3" pots - a baggie over the bottom of each pot keeps the dirt where it belongs. ;')
    6. A one or two-page handout of growing tips is helpful, and gives everyone something to take notes on.

Using:
    1. For best flavor/quality, harvest herbs in the morning, after the dew has dried but before the sun is full on them (but they'll taste good even if you get them at midnight).
    2. Never, never, NEVER eat a plant unless you're completely sure what it is and that it won't hurt you. This holds as true for adults as it does when we tell our 3-year-olds.
    3. Don't assume that something is safe just because it's "herbal". After all, we could technically consider Poison Ivy to be an herb. (Well, sortof. It makes the point, any way.)
    4. If you want to see if you'll like the taste of an herb, mix a little of the chopped herb (fresh or dry) with some plain cream cheese. Let it sit at room temp for 15-30 minutes to bring out the flavor, then try on a plain cracker.
    5. If you do bring goodies from the kitchen, be sure to have a simple handout of recipes for everyone.

There are reams and reams of stuff we all could tell you - you might want to check out some books on the subject and just immerse yourself! If someone asks a question that you don't know the answer to (which happens to every speaker), don't be afraid to say "I don't know - but let me find out for you".

But probably my best tip is to simply let your enthusiasm show! If the audience can see that you love these little plants, they will automatically tend to be more interested.

Hope this helps... it sure has gotten me stirred up!!!

Julie

• Octogenarian
    18 years ago

Companion planting basil with tomatoes really works to slow down the bugs, also basil is gaining in popularity, used in hamburgers (pesto?). (A topic)

• pedalpusher
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can't express how much I appreciate everyone taking time to give me some input. I was needing alittle direction, motivation and good ideas. I'll starting getting things in order this week. Thanks again.

• erockybalboa
    17 years ago

After you have grown an abundance of herbs, you'll want to put it up for the season, and give to your friends and family, and might even want to sell some. But these are the ways that I harvest and dry herbs. Basically, twice a year, I trim the herb plants. And I have a real nice pair of kitchen scissors, or I can use garden snips. And I trim the herbs, and I either- depending on the quantity- I either lay it out on a big piece of fabric to dry, or I put it in a bowl like this and turn it periodically. You can see this side is dry and now this is green. And so, I just keep turning it so that it keeps drying on all sides.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to dry herbs

• natasha90
    17 years ago

In case anyone is interested there is a really great blog that gives tons of info on various health issues. From enhancing fertility, to kidney and liver problems to cancer. ItÂs interactive too so this author (well-known- Manda Spring) will answer your questions. Check it out!!! I have bookmarked the page and I suggest you do the same. www.medicinalnature.com --- Hope to see ya there.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.medicinalnature.com

• granite
    17 years ago

Natasha, a barely concealed ad into our thread is in poor taste and is contrary to the rules of posting. Also, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

• luvr29
    17 years ago

Herbs add flavor to food and provide extra scent and color in your garden. They are among the oldest cultivated plants and are as fascinating now as they were hundreds of years ago. Herbs can be annual, biennial, or perennial. Most have modest flowers, but some have very showy flowers, while others have quite striking leaves. Many herbs attract bees and butterflies, which adds even more interest to your garden. Here are the 10 most popular herbs for you to consider.

1) Basil is a half-hardy annual with shiny green leaves; it is great in tomato dishes. It grows up to two feet and needs shelter, sun, and regular pinching out to keep it small.

2) Bay is often grown as a small, pyramid bush and can reach sixty feet if grown in the wild. However, it is quite slow growing in pots, so you donÂt have to worry about it getting this tall in your garden. You can use bay leaves in stews and sauces, and it is especially tasty in spaghetti sauce.

3) Chervil is a delicate, ferny annual or biennial. It grows to about one foot tall and has a peppery taste, which is quite strong if used fresh in soup or salad dishes. You can harvest this herb all winter long if planted in a sunny, sheltered spot.

4) Chives have tidy, grassy leaves and a mild onion flavor. They grow to be about 6 inches high. These are perhaps the most popular herbs used and grown today. They are most commonly used in salads and in potato dishes, as well as a garnish.

5) Dill is an annual that grows to be about three feet high. It has delicate, feathery leaves and strong-scented seeds. Its flat yellow flowers make a great border in any flower garden. Dill is often used with fish, eggs, and tomatoes, as well as in pickling.

6) Garlic has a very distinct flavor that is used to enhance meat, vegetables, and salad dressings. It is very easy to grow; you can plant single cloves in the spring and have complete heads of garlic by late summer.

7) Mint is very prolific in its propagation; it grows to be about 24 inches tall and spreads very rapidly. If you plant it in a garden, you might want to put it in a pot to keep it from overtaking the other plants. It is traditional to use mint jelly with lamb and fresh mint with peas and new potatoes.

8) Parsley is considered to be the most popular herb because it can be used to enhance any savory dish. It is a biennial, but sometimes grown as an annual, and grows to be about two feet tall. The fern-leafed plants make a very attractive border.

9) Sage comes in many different varieties; all are hardy shrubs that benefit from annual spring pruning. This herb is traditionally used in turkey stuffing, but is also popular with poultry and cheese.

1. Tarragon is a floppy, course perennial, about two feet tall. It has a fresh, tart taste and is used in fish, chicken, and seafood dishes. The French variety is considered to be better than the Russian is.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Herbs