Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margowicz

Chillies

margowicz
11 years ago

Hi all I have been growing herbs for a while and they are doing very well now I am reading about them as someone reconmended reading jekka book on herbs.

I have to ask someone is there a book out there you would recommend for growing chillies as it starting to get to the chilli season and well I want to be growing anything I can save me money lol

Thanks in advance Margowicz

Comments (8)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi again Margowicz - I'm glad the herbs are doing well. There is a peppers and chillies forum here on GW but since most posters are in the US their experience isn't really relevant to us. They are very easy to germinate and grow if you have a greenhouse, glass porch, large sunny windowsill or cloches. Outside they are not very successful. I only started growing peppers two years ago as I had imagined they were difficult. I was wrong. I just followed the instructions on the packet and sowed much as I would tomatoes. Then I transplanted them into some old window boxes and kept them in the greenhouse. Amazingly, this year, although the plants look terrible I am still picking fresh peppers.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Peppers are very easy to start from seed though they are much slower growers than tomatoes - start them before you would tomatoes.

I'm not familiar with UK conditions like Flora so I defer to her. But I live in the Northeastern US. Our growing season for tender plants like peppers and tomatoes is short, only from late May to early October. We usually have rain sporadically throughout the summer season and usual daytime temperatures that are upper 70's to mid 80's F - which is much cooler than the Southern or Western parts of the US where peppers excel.

Peppers still grow well for me. I usually shy away from the big bell peppers - they don't mature well for me. But the smaller hot chili peppers grow and produce well. If heat and sun is a problem, perhaps locating the peppers where they would get some extra sun and heat like near the west/southwest wall of your house might help. Even in my generally cool location, only the plants tolerating the hottest and driest conditions do well there. Microclimates such as this could make a difference. Varieties can make a difference too - best sure to check out where the variety was developed.

FataMorgana

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Our problem Fata, is that there is not sufficient heat, even in the summer. An average of upper 70s to 80s would be boiling for us. My region's July/August average (our warmest months) is around 68f. The sea which keeps us warm in Winter keeps us cool in Summer.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats in england to N Ireland it worse you be looking at 18C

I mind one year we had about a month of 25C and you swear the world was on fire lol

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Ah well. I thought I would offer the microclimate suggestion - it is a useful technique to get zone bumps or other needed conditions. I have to wonder if gardeners in Alaska or in the Far North grow peppers. I bet they do. They may have to greenhouse or "under glass" them too but they may have some other techniques that may work. If interested, might be worth checking into for where there is a will there is a way! ;)

FataMorgana

• chervil2
    11 years ago

Peppers can be grown in pots and maintained for a few years. My potted chili plants go inside for the winter and return to the outside deck for the summer. The pot environment keeps the soil warmer compared to a garden planting. Some of my hot and small fruited chilis have grown for up to three years in pot culture. My advice would be to experiment with different varieties and see which works best in your situation. The joy of having your own is that the chili peppers can be picked while you are cooking your dish.

• margowicz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah that why I wanna do it have proper fresh stuff on hand every day and besides it will save me a small fortune in the long run.

Another question is the plastic green houses just as good as glass?

link below

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

More affordable. Less permanent. Not as sturdy.

I use them early in the season for tender plants and hardening off seedlings. Gets really hot (cooking hot) in them during the summer here so they are unusable for me after spring. It is always something to try and see how it works for you. You can always plan to build or buy something more longterm/better if it works out for peppers and other heat loving plants.

FataMorgana