Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to set out herb seedlings (mint, thyme)

Posted by greenmulberry 5-Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 11:08

I have some starts of corisican mint and creeping thyme that I started from seed. Now I see the Corsican mint is perennial for zone 7, I was wondering, because we are certain to have frosts here for about a month or more, if I can set them out yet? I was thinking that the "zone 5 winter conditions" are surely over, and if they can handle zone 7 type stuff (mid 20's?) then maybe they would be OK after I harden them off? What about the creeping thyme? I desperately need more room under my grow lights, and was hoping to start hardening off these herbs if they are tough enough, and get their little fragrant selves outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to set out herb seedlings (mint, thyme)

Thyme of the small bush type is very hardy for winters in Z6. I started from seeds two years ago and its survived two winters already. If the new seedlings are still small like less than about 6 inches, you may want to wait until the end of April just to be sure. Younger plants are quite tender and also need some direct expousure to bright sunlight for a few weeks prior to direct planting outdoors. You can also take the plants indoors on very cold days, as they are still in pots. I must assume that the pots are at least 2-3 inches across. This will harden the plants off some and reduce sun scall and some other issues common to smaller seedlings.

o

Definitely harden your seedlings off first, by gradually introducing them to outdoor conditions.

You may well be able to start this process already.

o

You may be able to "rig" a little protection for them too, after you harden them off first. Place them inside a milk just the you slit at the top. Put the plant inside and tape closed. If you leave the lid off the top, it will act as a little minigreenhouse until the weather cooperates. Or you could just cut out the bottom of a milk jug or 2 liter and cover or cloche them that way. I am using one of my raised beds and adding a couple pvc pipes toit an covering with plastic for a area to harden off seedlings and plants to get them out of the way so I can get more going. I, like you, am out of room. You can get a plastic drop cloth at wmart in the painting area for a couple bucks. Use that over the pvc pipes and it will protect them. I found plastic brackets at lowes that we used to screw into the boards on the riased beds, sides and the held the pvc right in place. I just use a few pieces of firewood all around the edges to hold them down, thus providing me easy access. If you are still worried about cold, you can fill a few milk jugs with water and place them inside your little mini hoophouse and they will absorb heat duringthe day and release slowly at night helping to moderate your nightly temps.

Hope that helps.

NIchol

o

I have been taking them out for little vacations outside to get them hardened off. I think once it warms up juts a bit more, I will give them some kind of protections and put them out.

The weather here is so weird. It gets all nice and spring like, 70s, then we get back into daytime highs of the low 30's and snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here