Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large potted rosemary

Posted by greyandamy 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 11:24

I've somehow without trying too hard overwintered a larger rosemary in a pot. I did everything wrong, but it survived. I'm wondering if there will be a need to fertilize it at some time? I'm not sure they are herbs that like poor soil or would benefit from some fertilizer. It's looking fine...It didn't bloom at all (were they supposed to in winter?) but it's a large rosemary in a pot..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large potted rosemary

In the Spring, I re-pot my rosemary. Historically, I've moved it up to a bigger pot, but I might not want it to get any bigger at this point, so this year I might root-prune it (and prune a similar amount from the top) and put it back into the same pot.

I do usually give a bit of fertilizer at re-potting time. I've got some stuff that's designed to be an organic "herb fertilizer," which I take to mean it offers some good nutrients, but not heavy fertilization. It seems to work well enough.

I think any plant that lives its entire life in a pot is going to need a bit of fertilizer now and again, because unlike plants in the ground, they have no ability to get nutrients other than what you give them. Just don't over-do it in the case of herbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here