Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my Chocolate Mint plant?

Posted by Nikesh SC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 11:34

I bought if from the nursery and it had this purplish color. They said it was bc the plant was out in the cold, so I bought it. I have kept it inside with a decent amount of light for more than a week now and it doesn't seem to be changing much.

Disclaimer: I am an new gardener :)

This post was edited by Nikesh on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 14:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my Chocolate Mint plant?

If it was out in the cold, the plant was most likely dormant. It may take it a while to wake up indoors.

FataMorgana

o

Its not a dying plant though, right?

When it recovers, it will have a strong chocolate mint smell and taste like it should?

o

It's clearly not dying. I'm wondering if the colouration is due to poor nutrition. I'd try repotting it.

o

The chocolate mint taste/smell seems to vary widely with individual plants, growing conditions, and even those doing the tasting/smelling. Short answer, it may develop that smell/taste for you. Time will tell. Be sure to read back posts here. This has been discussed many times.

FataMorgana

o

Oh yeah, purple color is common in cold plants. My lemon balm turns purple late fall. The thyme is purple all winter. Etc.... You can also look through back posts for this too.

FataMorgana

o

Give it some more time. But later on if it doesn't develop a chocolate-like smell even when a leaf is crushed, and doesn't green up a little, take it back to the nursery. Nurseries have been know to make mistakes...I've gotten a couple of plants that didn't turn out to be what they were supposed to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here