Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to transplant Basil seedlings

Posted by scragglyannie none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 11:58

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and as a budding newbie to gardening I look forward to using your expertise.

So here's my question, I've got these Basil seedlings, and I think they've stopped growing, so maybe it's time to get them into a bigger pot? How do I go about this? I'm worried i might have planted too many in too small a space, but maybe not.

Anyway any help or advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to transplant Basil seedlings

Yes, it is time to move your basil seedlings to a large growing space. I have seen basil thrive planted both individually and in groups in pots. You have enough seedlings to try both methods. The tricky part is disturbing the roots as little as possible during the transplanting process. I use kitchen silverware and tweezers to separate the plants. It is okay to hold the seedlings by the leaves. Avoid touching the stems since you can crush or break them very easily. After you have the seedlings in a new pot, water well to remove the air pockets and hydrate the stress roots.

o
RE: How to transplant Basil seedlings

I agree--they are ready to be transplanted. I generally do 2-3 seedlings in a 2 1/2" pot. As Chervil2 said, water well to pack the soil, and after a day or two, then they will also majorly benefit from a weak liquid fertilizer--bottom watering is best. Your seedlings are still at the cotyledon stage--they'll be getting their first real leaves soon (probably can see the pair already). At that point, they no longer receive food from the seed, which they've been living off of until now.

Also, basil seedlings do stagnate when not perfectly happy, especially if they're not warm enough. It's not unusual to see very little activity for a period, then a growth spurt. Yours also look like they're a little low on light--the bent stems reaching. You really need strong light right (1-2") above the seedlings to avoid legginess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here