Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Rosemary

Posted by bluesyblue4u2 8b Northwest Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 12:00

I have a rosemary bush that is at least 4yrs old. It is stemmy and leggy on one side. I'd like to cut it back, but am not sure as to how far or whether or not doing so would hurt it. When would be the best time to prune. I love walking by it and having it rub against my clothes...it smells so good, so I don't want to accidently destroy it! Any advive would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Rosemary

Asking a redundent question. Suggest that you look at all teh search results below..

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning rosemary

o

bluesyblue - rosemary can take quite a severe pruning and will produce new shoots from lower down. You might want to think though about why your plant is leggy on only one side. Is it shaded by something? Anyway you can safely cut it back.

As for the previous response - don't worry about that. If no one ever repeated a question these forums would practically cease to exist.

o

Thank you Flora... as a matter of fact the side that is the most scraggly is a bit shaded by a pecan tree. I will cut back ... when is the best time of the year to do pruning? I looked up "pruning rosemary" as suggested. However,that wasn't addressed. Maybe you know? Anyway thank you for your response. bluesy

o

Bluesy,
Think of pruning rosemary as harvesting an herb. Cut it whenever you want. Rosemary in Florida should be evergreen, so you can harvest/prune at any time of the year.
Think of the overall shape you want and then have at it! Rosemary will bush out when pruned, as Flora said. Several side shoots will appear at the cut.
I use the harvested woody stems as shish-kebab skewers. Strip off the leaves (saving and drying them for future use) except for a little bit at the top, then either use the stems fresh or dry them and soak them in water for an hour before using. The rosemary "rods" impart a wonderful flavor to chicken and pork cubes.
I agree, brushing a rosemary bush is one of the olefactory delights of gardening!

o

My rosemary was cut to ground level. Will it grow back?

o

Rather depends on a variety of factors. Where do you live? When was it cut down? Where I live it would survive and thrive but your conditions may be quite different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here